The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pure Ftpd Different Ports on Different IPs ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drake, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2001
    New Jersey
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Can someone give me some direction relative to pure-ftpd-conf, so I can have some non-standard port for my public IP's and still keep port 21 for

I know the key to doing it is in "this part" of pure-ftpd.conf, however, any pointers for the proper syntax would be appreciated.

# IP address/port to listen to (default=all IP and port 21).
    # Bind,21

My goal at this time is to have the external IP's access FTP on some non-standard port (and denying port 21) while still keeping port 21 open to (localhost) to keep Chkservd service monitor happy.

Say for instance, I want to accept incoming connections on port 589 (or some other number), but still want to listen on standard port 21.

I haven't ruled out the possibility of adding an additional global FTP listen port number, and denying access to Port 21 to all except for some trusted IPs and via IPTables.

I am pondering doing this due to some recent DarkMail.Cgi variants that we have had problems with.

We had changed our ssh listening ports years ago to non-standard port numbers, and that has alleviated a lot of grief ! That tweak was a home run.

I am a firm believer in non-standard ports to alleviate the largest bulk of random hacking attempts from the outside world.

Much Appreciated...

Drake Pallister
    Duraserver Tech.
    #1 Drake, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010