Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Pure Ftpd Different Ports on Different IPs ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drake, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,
    Can someone give me some direction relative to pure-ftpd-conf, so I can have some non-standard port for my public IP's and still keep port 21 for 127.0.0.1.

I know the key to doing it is in "this part" of pure-ftpd.conf, however, any pointers for the proper syntax would be appreciated.

# IP address/port to listen to (default=all IP and port 21).
    # Bind 127.0.0.1,21

My goal at this time is to have the external IP's access FTP on some non-standard port (and denying port 21) while still keeping port 21 open to 127.0.0.1 (localhost) to keep Chkservd service monitor happy.

Say for instance, I want 64.95.36.0/24 to accept incoming connections on port 589 (or some other number), but still want 127.0.0.1 to listen on standard port 21.

I haven't ruled out the possibility of adding an additional global FTP listen port number, and denying access to Port 21 to all except for some trusted IPs and 127.0.0.1 via IPTables.

I am pondering doing this due to some recent DarkMail.Cgi variants that we have had problems with.

We had changed our ssh listening ports years ago to non-standard port numbers, and that has alleviated a lot of grief ! That tweak was a home run.

I am a firm believer in non-standard ports to alleviate the largest bulk of random hacking attempts from the outside world.

Much Appreciated...

Thanks,
    Drake Pallister
    Duraserver Tech.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Drake, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010