The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pure-ftpd Failed after Cpanel Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jzollo66, Oct 8, 2004.

1. jzollo66

jzollo66 Registered

A few nights ago WHM automatically updated itself and in the process crippled our ftp server (pure-ftpd). From what we can tell it was trying to update to the latest version (1.0.20) and something messed up in the process. For now we have switched to proftpd but it’s utter crap and we would like to get pure-ftpd up as soon as possible. We’ve tried many things to get this problem remedied but have had no luck.

This is the error message we get after trying to switch back to pure-ftpd.

ftpserver has failed, please contact the sysadmin.Install Complete

Server Specs: 2.4 Ghz Celeron, 1GB RAM, Red Hat Enterprise 3, WHM 9.9.0 cPanel 9.9.1-R3. (ServerMatrix)

Any help with this issue would be greatly recommended.

2. justinosx

justinosx Member

A Little More Info

We had been on the Current Builds, when upcp ran, it did the rpm update and updated pure-ftpd. Pure-ftpd then decided to crap out, starting it up manually failed, giving us errors about "invalid option -- O" and then "421 Unknown authentication method: extauth:/var/run/ftpd.sock" WIthout the ftpd.sock thing, ftp users cannot login (full users can). Also, in the ftp configuration in WHM, it always says pure-ftpd for the installed FTP. proftpd doesn't seem to chroot everyone either, and tips from other people with that issue haven't worked.

Thanks

3. Elikster

Elikster Well-Known Member

Pure-FTPd Package

I have a package made for it which fixes that issue plus increased the user length for login from 32 to 64 version. You can grab a copy from this url:

http://cario.hostforweb.net/pure-ftpd-1.0.20-2.tls.RHE3.i386.rpm

Note that it is customized for our servers with passive mode 50000:50200, which you can disable in the /etc/sysconfig/pure-ftpd for that line. Other than that, it works well and it should not give you any problems.

4. tsook

tsook Well-Known Member

Same here, any other solution?

5. Elikster

Other Verions

I can put up the other RH Versions up as well if you want them, since I am going to make a set for 7.3 and 9.0 as well to have it updated with expanded login length for use.

6. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    same problem here... I switched to proftp for now, but would really like to go back to pureftp.

No offense to Elikster, his efforts are much apreciated, but I don't know enough about rpm's to be comfortable installing an 'unofficial' one from somebody I don't know. Hopefully something official will surface soon.

I'm a little curious why there is so little discussion about this recent pureftp failure, on these forums. It would make me believe that the problem is not common in some way. My whm/cpanel setup is pretty standard and normally if I have an issue, a lot of others here are having the same. Strange ?

Elikster... what sorts of changes did you have to do in your build? Are they minor configuration or more substantive?

best regards,

7. Elikster

RPM Builds - Pure-FTPd

They are exact duplicate of what Cpanel provided dating back to early version of Pure-FTPd, 1.12 or so if I remembered, and I just simply upgraded the sourcetarball to 1.20 and enabled the TLS support plus I added my customization in the pure-ftpd that get placed in /etc/sysconfig with --passive=50000:502000. Plus, one other change was in the source in the ftpd.h file to change the max length login from 32 characters to 64 characters so it works with some customers who have really long domain names.

Other than that, they are same as cpanel, and it works flawlessly for us at Hostforweb, which we use as default FTP server for all servers in production.

8. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

Is there one available for RH 7.3 w/Cpanel ?

thx's
    Mickalo

9. Elikster

RH 7.3, RH 9, RHES3 Available

I will have those available shortly today for download, which you can use. I got little sidetracked with few other projects to finish the RPMS packages from my source RPM package for various distros.

It will be at cpanel.hostforweb.net/ in proper directory when I am done with it. I just need to start reorganizing some stuff including OpenSSH and few other packages which I made to maintain the servers so that I can keep the systems up to date.

#9 Elikster, Oct 13, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2004