Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Pure-FTPd TLS-Auth

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trparky, Aug 4, 2005.

1. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

A couple of our users are experiencing the following connection error while using CuteFTP.
    SSL: Error in negotiating SSL connection. The server could be rejecting your certificate.​
    I am going out on a limb here, but I assume it is because by default, Cpanel sets PureFTPd up with a self-signed certificate.

How can we fix this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Do you have an SPI firewall installed? If so, you'll have to open a hole in it for the ephemeral ports (converting it to a less secure static firewall) because FTP over SSL will not work through an SPI firewall (it can't by design).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

The only thing that gets me is that SmartFTP works with no issues. Is SmartFTP doing something different?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No idea. I would suspect that it is failing back to non-SSL, since the issue is with how an SPI firewall works.

5. consultorpc

consultorpc Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I fet it working using FTP over TLS (explicit) with FileZilla in PASV mode, but with CuteFTP Pro I get the same error as you:

ERROR:> SSL: Error in negotiating SSL connection. The server could be rejecting your certificate.
    ERROR:> Failed to establish data socket.

In the logs I can see this:

Jun 15 07:56:56 vps501 pure-ftpd: (?@IP) [INFO] New connection from IP
    Jun 15 07:56:57 vps501 pure-ftpd: (?@IP) [INFO] SSL/TLS: Enabled TLSv1/SSLv3 with AES256-SHA, 256 secret bits cipher
    Jun 15 07:56:57 vps501 pure-ftpd: (?@IP) [INFO] user is now logged in

So I think it should be something worng with CuteFTP software.

6. consultorpc

consultorpc Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi again,

After some tweaking I get it sorted, just activate Clear Data Channel in Site Properties in CuteFTP as it seems encrypted data isn't supported by the default Pure-FTPd installation in cPanel.

Regards.