The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PureFTP and Frontpage problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bigwebmaster, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Bigwebmaster

Bigwebmaster Member

Before when I was running ProFTP I had no complaints from customers who use frontpage. Since I made the switch to PureFTP it seems there are some problems that involve frontpage. I am stumped to what is causing the problem.

There are two problems. The first is that when a user makes changes to their website, before frontpage would only upload the changed files. Now since I changed over to PureFTP whenever they make a change with their website frontpage thinks all files have been changed and it tries to upload their entire site which is very large.

In this process the connection will usually last 5-10 minutes for them before they get one of the following errors:

"Error 425- could not open data connection for port 4662: Connection refused."

or

"message- 500- unknown command"

Any ideas?

2. rustelekom

rustelekom Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

You can try reinstall Frontpage server extension. Also may be there exist firewall problem. I am not remember, but may be Frontpage have a PASV mode option? If it is correct, try enable this option. Both problems look as ftp client can't list directories.

3. Bigwebmaster

Bigwebmaster Member

I thought about that too so I recommended the client try PASV mode which Frontpage indeed has. That solved the problem with the customer getting disconnected after so many minutes, but it still thinks it needs to upload every file instead of just the changed files. Your hypothesis of it not listing the contents of the directory does indeed sound like it would be the problem. I have noticed a few errors in the log that his client software is trying to create directories that already exist which results in errors. I think you are right that the problem is it is not able to retreive the contents of the directory (which also explains why it tries to create directories that already exist)... but why is it able to work fine with ProFTP but not PureFTP?

#3 Bigwebmaster, Jul 26, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  4. rustelekom

rustelekom Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

if you have firewall installed and it is filter your traffic this problem may happen also with pro-ftpd too. only difference, that pure-ftpd use different port-range for opening socket connection. if i am not wrong usually pure-ftpd use 50000-55000 ports. problem may corrected, if you disable firewall filtering or open above ports (this port range may be may changed by pure-ftpd configuration files) for in-out connection. only difference beetween pure-ftpd and proftpd which i remember is port range.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you're using an SPI firewall (such as APF) you should have no need at all to open ephemeral port ranges like that, or you'll just end up effectively disabling SPI and reverting to a static firewall which is much less secure.