PureFTP - How to increase file limits list (2000 entries)?

minotauro

Jan 19, 2004
Hello,

How to increase file limits list (2000 entries)? I edit /etc/pure-ftpd.conf and change line 164 to:

# 'ls' recursion limits. The first argument is the maximum number of
# files to be displayed. The second one is the max subdirectories depth

LimitRecursion 5000 15

But when i list the directory, continue show this error:

226-Options: -l
226 Output truncated to 2000 matches
ftp>

Any idea?

Regards,
Minotauro.

Marty

Oct 10, 2001
This is an old thread, but I have this same problem. Does anybody know how to change the recursion limit in pureftp so that more than 2000 files can be listed?

Annette

PartnerNOC
Aug 12, 2001
Edit /etc/sysconfig/pure-ftpd

Add a line as follows:

--limitrecursion=xxxxx:y

where xxxxx is the number of files you would like to permit in a listing and y is the directory depth you wish to permit. After modifying the file, chattr +i to keep cPanel updates from overwriting your changes. Restart FTP, and you'll the extended listings.

noimad1

Mar 27, 2003
Annette said:
Edit /etc/sysconfig/pure-ftpd

Add a line as follows:

--limitrecursion=xxxxx:y

where xxxxx is the number of files you would like to permit in a listing and y is the directory depth you wish to permit. After modifying the file, chattr +i to keep cPanel updates from overwriting your changes. Restart FTP, and you'll the extended listings.
I know this is prety old, however, I had this working without problem recently, but I must have forgot to chattr +i to the file becuase when I did an update it stopped working. And I went to the /etc/sysconfig directory and the pure-ftpd file was gone??? Now what do I do?

noimad1

Mar 27, 2003
noimad1 said:
I know this is prety old, however, I had this working without problem recently, but I must have forgot to chattr +i to the file becuase when I did an update it stopped working. And I went to the /etc/sysconfig directory and the pure-ftpd file was gone??? Now what do I do?
nevermind. Found this line in the pure-ftpd.conf

LimitRecursion 2000 8

just had to change that one.

tmunk

Apr 4, 2004
Arizona
note for BSD servers

I just ran into this problem when switching from ProFTPD to PureFTPD, because of the Cpanel security advisory. Immediately after the changeover, I was getting calls from users who were unable to view more than 2000 files in a directory (a problem for some of my customers who have product photos numbering in the tens of thousands).

This fix works perfectly, but it should be noted that the pure-ftpd.conf file lives in /usr/local/etc on BSD systems :)