pureftp keeps switching back to proftpd

alareach

Aug 12, 2001
Anyone using pureftp notice problems with this?

We switched some servers to pureftp and about a week later the proftpd is enabled again. We don't do it, and even uncheck the proftpd in the service manager but then about a week or so later, we find proftpd running with about 100+ cpu load and have to kill it off and then click ftp manager in WHM and see that it shows proftpd enabled again without our doing anything to change it.

Any ideas?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

Jemshi

Sep 11, 2003
India
we had same problem with proftpd taking too much load - but switching to pureftp solved that - never seen that switching back to pro.

alareach

Aug 12, 2001
Just happened on another box, was running pureftp and even had proftpd disabled in the service manager in WHM but proftpd was running (an using a huge amount of resources as well) so I had to kill it and use the FTP manager to reinstall pureftp.

<edit> Make that 2 boxes in one hour! In addition, it is starting dozens of instances of proftpd when this happens.</edit>

:mad:

Last edited:

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Originally posted by alareach
Just happened on another box, was running pureftp and even had proftpd disabled in the service manager in WHM but proftpd was running (an using a huge amount of resources as well) so I had to kill it and use the FTP manager to reinstall pureftp.

<edit> Make that 2 boxes in one hour! In addition, it is starting dozens of instances of proftpd when this happens.</edit>

:mad:

Do you have both installed?

rpm -q proftpd

rpm -q pure-ftpd

alareach

Aug 12, 2001
Hi Nick,
Last login: Mon Sep 29 16:58:33 2003 from *
[email protected]* [~]# rpm -q proftpd
package proftpd is not installed
[email protected]* [~]# rpm -q pure-ftpd
pure-ftpd-1.0.12-26cpanel

From my experience so far, about a week or so later, I start seeing proftpd running in top and go into whm and see the ftp settings offer to let me change to pureftp again. It does not seem to happen 'because' of anything (e.g. cpanel update)
I will open a ticket if needed, just wanted to find out if this was just us.

perlchild

Sep 1, 2002
in my experience, that usually happens under load, whm tries to switch, but proftpd doesn't die properly. You just need to kill -KILL proftpd and restart pure