tuxer

Jan 8, 2010
We were running pureftpd on the server. Our client changed the ftp server to proftpd and then switched back to pureftpd. But now pureftpd is failing to start.

Country Name (2 letter code) [GB]:State or Province Name (full name) [Berkshire]:Locality Name (eg, city) [Newbury]:Organization Name (eg, company) [My Company Ltd]:Organizational Unit Name (eg, section) []:Common Name (eg, your name or your server's hostname) []:Email Address []:`/usr/local/cpanel/etc/pureauth' -> `/usr/sbin/pureauth'
`/usr/local/cpanel/etc/pureauth' -> `/usr/local/sbin/pureauth'
Waiting for ftpserver to restart..............finished.

pure-authd (/usr/sbin/pure-authd -s /var/run/ftpd.sock -r /usr/sbin/pureauth) running as root with PID 27819

ftpserver has failed, please contact the sysadmin.
Install Complete

Enabling pure-ftpd in init system
I have tried switching back and forth between proftpd and pureftpd, /scripts/restartsrv_pureftpd, /scripts/ftpup --force, /scripts/setupftpserver --force pure-ftpd etc but pureftpd is refusing to start.

proftpd is working though. What could be wrong ?

lehels

Jul 10, 2006
Same situation.
As i observe pure-ftpd service is running, but the port is not open and there is no LOG registered anywhere.

No change after upcp.
No change after changing back from proftp > pureftp.

Any hints ?

madaboutlinux

Jan 24, 2005
Earth
I have tried switching back and forth between proftpd and pureftpd, /scripts/restartsrv_pureftpd, /scripts/ftpup --force, /scripts/setupftpserver --force pure-ftpd etc but pureftpd is refusing to start.

proftpd is working though. What could be wrong ?
The scripts you tried won't make any difference. The script for switching Ftp server do not work from the command line recently (at least I have noticed it for quite a sometime). However, you can easily change the ftp server from

WHM >> Service Configuration >> FTP Server Selection >> select the ftp server you wish to have >> click Save
This should start the required ftp server on the server.

lehels

Jul 10, 2006
It was selected.
As i mentioned, the service was started - but not the port also.

Anyway, i quit pureftpd - i've change FTP server to ProFTP.

Cheers,

Spiral

BANNED
Jun 24, 2005
I've seen these issue on a couple servers ironically from different hosting provider clients at the same data center so may be a base server default image conflict of some sort loaded on the servers at that data center.

Anyway, the solution for those cases was to completely wipe out Pure-ftpd entirely manually by hand and remove it from the system and then re-install it again from WHM and that seemed to "unstick" things.