The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PureFTPd Problem, it just sucks.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kmsd, Dec 20, 2003.

1. kmsd

kmsd Well-Known Member

Hi There,

Can someone help me out with this, using PureFTPd 1.0.12 I am unable to DOWNLOAD in binary mode. I can upload in anymode though. Previously I was not able to download ANYTHING, even ASCII mode files. I did a graceful reboot last night and now ASCII downloads work. I know this for sure because I set CuteFTP Pro 3.0 to download JPG as ASCII and they download content, in BINARY mode they download 0kb files and give the following error.

It gives that error 450 during write to data connection: Invalid argument. I had my host look at it, they couldn't figure it out, then CPanel staff looked at it and they said it was fixed, but, it's not, it will take another few weeks for them to look at the ticket again :mad: . If anyone can help I'd appreciate it, and if you solve the problem I'd be willing to compensate you with some PayPal cash.

I had this problem and went to ProFTPd, but, that thing is slow even with reverse dns off and it does take a lot of memory to use. So, I want PureFTPd. I also have tried multiple FTP clients such as CuteFTP Pro 3.0, WS_FTP, DOS FTP, PHP FTP Functions. I have also tried behind multiple networks and firewalls. I have even tried without using a firewall (speaking of which, FLIP, firewall back on). I have also tried via SFTP hoping something else, but, same issue. Any help is appreciated.

I also tried the fix provided in this post, but, I don't even have that file/directory line in my ProFTPd conf file and don't see how it has to do with PureFTPd.
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15516&highlight=error+450+invalid+argument

CPanel Ticket Number: 32665

Thanks,
    kmsd

#1 kmsd, Dec 20, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2003
  2. kmsd

kmsd Well-Known Member

Just upgraded to the latest RELEASE tree:
    WHM 8.5.4 cPanel 8.5.5-R20
    RedHat 7.3 - WHM X v2.1.1

Still same issue. Is there not a company out there that KNOWS how to resolve this issue that I can pay? I've already had ServInt techs look at it and they say it's something CPanel has to fix. Anyone know of a "CPanel Expert" company that is reputable AND trustable?

Thanks,
    kmsd

3. Prodigal

Prodigal Registered

This problem is still resolved.
    My hosts tell me that CPanel is simply not doing anything to resolve this issue in their latest builds.

4. kmsd

kmsd Well-Known Member

It's NOT resolved. THe issue is the way CPanel compiles PureFTPd, it's not compatible with Virtuozzo VPS. My ticket number is still open and has been 'escalated' to the highest level of support.

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=220

Thanks,
    kmsd

5. Prodigal

Prodigal Registered

Exactly - Nuf said!

6. essene

essene Member

We're having the same exact problem and error.

I have a client who is on a Virtuozzo VPS and upgraded to the latest current version, but didnt fix anything.

We switched back to ProFTP using a fix provided in one of the postings here where you add three lines to your proftpd.conf and this definitely sped things up in proftp.

However, based on the fact that the client is on a VPS, it would be much more efficient for him if he could utilize pureftp.

I'm still researching and of course will post a fix/workaround should I find one.

Thanks,
    Josh

7. zentity

zentity Well-Known Member

You could try this redhat rpm that I made for servers running cPanel, it may solve your issue, but if you let me know the outcome and options to include, I could make an rpm up for you.

If you have pure-ftpd currently installed, you can upgrade to pure-ftpd-1.0.19-1.tls (TLS with sysquota support) with the rpm that I made up form the latest source - It works well with cPanel and is currently being used on over 50 servers without issue -

wget 66.246.72.128/install-pure-ftpd && chmod 700 install-pure-ftpd && ./install-pure-ftpd

If you have any problems, let me know.

#7 zentity, Jul 24, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2004
  8. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    make a fedora core 1 rpm please :D

9. zentity

zentity Well-Known Member

Download the script again and run it - I added Fedora Core 1 support too :)

10. essene

essene Member

zentity

Sorry for the delay in response and Thank You!

Will install this evening and report back for those who have yet to try it.

Once again, it's the people who use Cpanel who make Cpanel great :)

11. paolorulez

paolorulez Guest

i have this problem and timeouts with fedora core2 CURRENT66 and Pure-ftpd....switched to PROftpd is all ok :confused:

why?

#11 paolorulez, Jan 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2005