The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pureftpd startup issues.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xpctech, Oct 1, 2005.

1. xpctech

xpctech Registered

Server running FreeBSD 5.4 Stable

When the server resets. pureftpd is started, but no remote connections can be made. All the connections get refused. But when I just issue the restart command for pureftpd it fixes itself. This becomes a problem because, what if the server restarts... and I am not there to restart the service myself. clients will be left with no ftp. and NO I don't want to do an easy half ass fix, where i just make a script that restarts pureftp every boot.

2. xpctech

xpctech Registered

could anyone out there help me out.

assistance would be greatly apprecieated.

3. tuxdesk

tuxdesk Well-Known Member

please check the port 21 is open.

#telnet localhost 21

4. Zaf

Zaf Well-Known Member

I'm surprised why one of the mods havent yet commented on this post and advised you not to expect so much from a community forum. It is usually considered rude behaviour when you bump your posts this way.

Now about your problem....

I've seen a similar problem, it turned out to be an APF problem. An update/reinstall of the same might help you (if you have APF installed), but do proceed with caution when doing so and it is always recommended to seek help from your provider if you have managed services or seek some experts assistance for such tasks.

5. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

As well, when you mention that your server resets, am I correct in assuming that this was/is not a graceful shutdown and restart?

All that is done when executing the restart feature for nearly every service is the service is stopped and started.

So, my guess would be that if your server overloaded and shutdown, the pid files were not removed prior to reboot resulting in a failure for the service to start.

Not to worry, cpanel monitors your services and will restart down services automagically when they are detected. Will this happen immediately upon boot? No. But, it will (should) happen as soon as the service monitor detects the problem.

If these are graceful shutdowns and pure is not starting properly, then definately log a ticket with your data center and they can investigate/log a ticket with cpanel.

If not, I would (personally) be more concerned with the reason why the server is resetting or needs to be reset.

6. xpctech

xpctech Registered

Sorry that was my first post on these forums, sorry for bumping, I realize now this is a community based forum, and people are giving up thier time to help others.

Let me clairify it a little bit.
    When ever I restart the computer, meaning shutdown -r, or reboot... whatever floats your boat.
    The restart goes great. the dmsg looks fine also, no pureftpd errors or startup issues..

At this point. right when the server boots after the reboot. The pureftpd service IS running.. but.. the ftp port is closed. I just restart the pureftpd using cpanel.. or manually, and I guess it gets "reattacted to port 21" my guess is when pureftpd is initially started on bootup, it doesnt have access to the ports.

APF the firewall? There isn't a firewall running on my system.

I haven't tried "deinstalling" pureftp yet, I am afraid I may mess up some kind of hooks cpanel has on it. I am pretty new to cpanel, so I dont know how it interacts with installed programs, and if it modifys them and whatnot.

EDIT:
    Also, imapd doesnt start on boot, and the webmail get screwed because of it. Unlike the pureftpd, it isnt started at boot. pureftp is started at boot. but its not functional.

#6 xpctech, Oct 2, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

As a workaround you could put a restart into /etc/rc.d/rc.local if you have that file was that is the last file to be run during the boot sequence. Just add the following to the end:

/etc/init.d/pure-ftpd restart