cPanel & WHM Version
WHM 86.0.8

syedabdulbaqi

Feb 29, 2020
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
WHM version: 86.0.8

I am seeing a process "panopta-agent" which is consuming too much resources of the server and is triggered very frequently.

Couldn't find any information about it online. Can anyone tell the purpose of this process? And is it safe to disable it or at least adjust its scheduling?

Any help would be appreciated.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

This isn't something that's related to cPanel & WHM a quick google search indicates it's a monitoring software. I'd suggest checking with your provider or system administrator on whether or not you can or should remove this. Thanks!

syedabdulbaqi

Feb 29, 2020
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Dear @cPanelLauren,

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, you are right. Turns out that my web hosting provider was using this service for porting CPU, RAM and Disk usage from server to their customized user dashboard. So after receiving confirmation from my web hosting tech support, I disabled it.

Regards.

Reactions: cPanelLauren

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I wouldn't say it is a virus. It is a monitoring tool that is used for network and server monitoring:

If you didn't install it, it could have been included as part of the server image from the host itself, but it's definitely not something we ship. If you don't need the software and the host claims to not have knowledge of it, you can just remove that from the server.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That part I can't say for sure, since it's not something we provide. If it was installed as an RPM you could use Yum to remove it, but it would be a good idea to check and ensure you don't accidentally remove any dependencies along with it that may be needed by other tools on the server.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Databases 1