Purpose of password when generating CSR

JayFromEpic

Apr 2, 2011
Scottsdale
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hello,

Well I must say I have been using SSL's and cPanel itself for some years now and to this day, I have yet to actually use the password that is used when generating a CSR. To my understanding it was used back in the day when the webserver started to load the SSL but this obviously is not used anymore.

So bottom line, what is its use currently and is there any plans to phase this out in the future if its no longer used?

* This is probably a question for cpanel staff but community input is always appreciated :)

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello :)

This is better explained when using the "Generate an SSL Certificate and Signing Request" option in Web Host Mananger with cPanel 11.38:

Some certificate authorities may require CSRs to have a passphrase. The certificate authority can use a CSR passphrase to confirm the identity of the person or organization with whom you wish to communicate. CSR passphrases are stored unencrypted in the CSR. Because of this, and also because you will share this passphrase with a third party, do not use an important password here.

Thank you.

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That explanation might be nice on the CSR page, so people don't use a passphrase like, maybe, their root password. :)
In cPanel & WHM, the interfaces for generating a CSR contain the following text:

Some certificate authorities may require CSRs to have a passphrase. The certificate authority can use a CSR passphrase to confirm the identity of the person or organization with whom you wish to communicate. CSR passphrases are stored unencrypted in the CSR. Because of this, and also because you will share this passphrase with a third party, do not use an important password here.