The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putty and file attribute

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mahdionline, Jan 8, 2005.

1. mahdionline

mahdionline Well-Known Member

Hi

I see in putty(ssh) that files have different color .some of file are green and this files have a *

and some of file are another color ?

How can i discover files attribute by this matter ?

How can i discover files attribute by a command ? ( for example : I have a host on my server that all of file in this site convert to green* and I cannot run or visit that file from http)

Regard

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Its a part of the ls ( manual: type man ls at the shell prompt ) command, when invoked with --color=. Now, you'll probably say, "well i don't use that switch when i use ls". No, but you'd have an alias somewhere ( probably in /etc/bashrc ) such as:
    Code:
    LS_OPTIONS='--color=tty -F -a -b -T 0';
    export LS_OPTIONS;
    alias ls='/bin/ls $LS_OPTIONS';
    Which would cause ls to actually be called using --color=tty -F -a -b -T 0 plus whatever other options you specify yourself.

3. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Hmmm. After entering 'ls -al' I'm seeing a file name which appears in green and has a * (asterisk) beside it, eg:

-rwxr-x-r-x 1 user user 2480593379 Apr 30 03:02 xyz.tar.gz*

I wouldn't care except that I'm ftp'ing using Filezilla to the dir where this file (above) is saved and I can't see the file in the Remote Site view. I can see other files (with more restrictive perms and same owner) - just not this one. I'm logging in successfully as the user, and I've tried chmod'ing 777 the file, but despite refreshing my remote view I still cannot see this file. So I'm thinking it might be something to do wiith the fact that in Putty this file is being displayed in green and with an asterisk after it. Hence the question :) The file is VERY big (2.5Gb) - not sure if this is a factor.

Any takers?

4. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Some just told me that you won't see any file >2Gb in size in an ftp client.