The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

putty/ssh is very slow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jegefe, Feb 27, 2004.

1. jegefe

jegefe Member

i sue putty as a ssh client on my pc.

my problem is that it seems to hang - -i often wait up to 20 seconds for characters to appear in my terminal window.

the server seems to function normally, i.e. http, ftp etc are all quick enough.

what could cause this?

thanks

2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sounds like a personal problem. ;)

By that I mean, even if you use a dialup connection Putty is still fast. So the problem is either low resources on your personal computer or a connection problem between you & your Server.

If you computer resources are not a problem and presuming your Server ping time is good (under 200 ms for dialup or 80 for DSL/Cable) then I suggest you talk to your ISP for more info on their end.

3. jegefe

jegefe Member

ping is ~ RTT:25 , TTL:52

my pc is fairly new and generally working well.

my internet connection (dsl) seems fine generally..., are you saying there could be a problem specifically with ssh connections through my isp? if so, how would i check this? i guess i could try to open ssh connection with different servers, but i only have one.

i was thinking it might be some sort of problem with OpenSSH on my server. it seems that you think this is unlikely, why?

thanks.

4. bking

bking Well-Known Member

It could be DNS. Does your IP resolve to a hostname(reverse/PTR) When you log in, the sshd process tries to do a reverse lookup on the connecting IP. Add your IP and a hostname to /etc/hosts and see if that makes it any faster

5. jegefe

jegefe Member

nslookup of my ip# (you mean the my home pc, right?) yields a host name right away.

maybe i wasn't clear about my problem - it's not particularly slow to establish an ssh connection. it's slow the whole time i am using the ssh connection, so, if i am editing a file, i may have to wait 20 seconds for the typed characters to appear on my "terminal", and then a bunch will appear at once. this also happens when entering anything at the command line.

well i can't try your suggestion right now, because the server is a nocster server - and they are all down.....

after what i have just told you, do you still think i should add my ip and host to /etc/hosts ? i guess i can try it if the server ever comes online again.

thanks

6. bking

bking Well-Known Member

Ahh, I undertand now.. No, in that case, i dont think DNS would be the issue..