The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Python version

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by incogneato, Mar 28, 2006.

1. incogneato

incogneato Registered

What version of Python is being used in cPanel 10.8.1-RELEASE_113? Many thanks.

2. xerophyte

xerophyte Well-Known Member

python version differ from distro to distro, so login to your server and type
    Code:
    python -V
    Python 2.4.2

3. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

It varies from one server to another. On our servers we have two different versions: v2.2.3 and
    v2.4.2. So run this command to see what version installed on your server:
    python -V

#3 AndyReed, Mar 28, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  4. incogneato

incogneato Registered

It was my understanding that specific versions of Python were bundled with cPanel, regardless of what is already installed on a system. Is this not the case?

The reason I ask is because my webhost is running cPanel 10.8.1-RELEASE_113, but Python 2.2.3, and they claim they can't upgrade Python because it is part of cPanel. I find it hard to believe the latest version of cPanel is bundling a 3-year old version of Python.

5. xerophyte

xerophyte Well-Known Member

Cpanel does not comes with certain version of python, its use python on the system. True, stupid redhat does not wanna upgrade the python on their disro for example RHEL 3.x has 2.2.3 python, they never upgraded it and you are stuck with it. Because the REdhat depends on the 2.2.3 python and it will break few stuff if you upgrade it.

if you need upgrade python ask your host to install in the /usr/local/python2.4, you can use it that way.

hope that helps

6. incogneato

incogneato Registered

Thanks; perhaps my host meant to say that there are Linux dependencies that prevent them from upgrading Python but didn't understand the difference.

Can anyone confirm that there are no problems running cPanel 10.8.1-RELEASE_113 with Python 2.4.x?

Many thanks.