The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qmail as the main email server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by asmar, Jun 28, 2005.

1. asmar

asmar Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I was wondering if there is a "proper" way to make cpanel use a qmail server insteed of its Exim.
    I want to seperate the email from the hosting and at the moment I haven't find anything apart from changing the dns entries in each customer to point to the qmail server.

Anyone with a suggestion (apart from having a 2nd cpanel box)?

Thanks

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I don't really understand what you're looking for. If you want to replace exim with qmail, you can do so, but you'll have to disable all of the mail and webmail related functions within cPanel as your users will no longer be able to use them, obviously. You can disable exim in the WHM > Service Manager. TBH, if you want to use another MTA for some reason you're far better off using a separate mail server since exim is the MTA of choice for cPanel.

3. asmar

asmar Well-Known Member

Hi chirpy,

My previous post wasn't very clear. I need to have a 2nd box as the email server as you said. What I want to know is how I can tell to cpanel to use that server than its exim.

For example I have a server1.com holds all the hosting accounts with cpanel installed.
    I have also a server2.com that has only a bare install of qmail. I want to have the server2 as the email server and not the server1.

I can do that by modifing the mx entries but I was wondering if there is an easier way to do that as I have many dns records.

Thanks

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Ah, OK.

To do that, you would indeed have to modify your MX records, there's no getting around that. If you wanted to use the qmail server in addition to the exim server you could use a smart router in exim to forward email to the qmail server, but that would seem a little pointless. No, the only way to have email delievered to a different server is going to be by modifying the MX records. Also, don't forget to remove the domains from /etc/localdomains and put the in /etc/remotedomains and again disable the Mail functions in cPanel if your not going to have the qmail server forward email onto the cPanel server.