The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

qpopper instead of cppop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tomfra, May 30, 2003.

1. tomfra

tomfra Well-Known Member

Since it looks like cppop is the culprit of the widely discussed problem - i.e. downloading the "DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA" message with POP3, I am considering migrating to another POP3 server such as qpopper or ipop3d.

Does anyone has any experience with something like that? And perhaps some instructions would be helpful too. Of course, the best solution would be to patch cppop but I don't think there is such a patch despite that it would be needed in my opinion...

If there is a better solution to the described problem, that would be great.

Thanks.

Tomas

2. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

Actually, only ipop3d knows about FOLDER INTERNAL DATA... qpopper(and just about every other mbox format pop daemon) does not know what imapd conventions to follow...

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

3. tomfra

tomfra Well-Known Member

qpopper

Perlchild,

I've heard that the new version of qpopper can be compiled with an option to fix this problem, with command './configure --enable-uw-kludge' .

I don't need qpopper in fact, if ipop3d can do the same thing for me, I am happy with that. But then how do I switch to ipop3d and are there any disadvantages compared to cppop?

Thanks.

Tomas

4. perlchild

Re: qpopper

Well unless I miss my guess, cppop is specially formulated to support cpanel's virtual domains, so whichever other pop you use, you would have to change correspondingly...

5. Sash

Sash Well-Known Member

We run qpopper on some of our other non-cpanel servers and it has the same issue with IMAP.

Mike

6. tomfra

tomfra Well-Known Member

I am not sure, but wasn't cpanel using qpopper sometime ago? In fact, I really do not want to use anything else than the cpanel default server software but if it can't handle the UW IMAP pseudo messages properly, I do not have many options left...

I could probably change the IMAP software to something that does not create that stupid message but this might be even more difficult than changing the POP server software I am afraid.

I really don't understand why the UW IMAP programmers could not at least 'mark' that message as read / seen so that POP clients would not download it.

Tomas

7. tomfra

tomfra Well-Known Member

Sash,

This is an excerpt from the qpopper sample configuration file:

-----------
    # When set, Qpopper checks for and hides status messages created by
    # University of Washington software.
    #
    # Default: false
    #
    # set UW-kluge = false
    ------------

However, this option is new in version 4 so if you are using anything older, it won't help you. I have also read quite a few posts about this problem on the Internet and it indeed seems to work.

I am only worried about how deeply cppop is integrated into Cpanel and for example, what would happen after Cpanel upgrade and so on but as I said before, there do not seem to be many options left.

Well, maybe there is such a setting even for cppop but who knows, I could not find any help or readme file anywhere.

Anyway, if someone knows about a better solution than to install a different pop software, I want to know about it.

Tomas

8. perlchild

I'm sure there's an option in the almost unused config file for uw-imap not to produce this message(this leads to imap-brokenness though)

9. tomfra

tomfra Well-Known Member

Well, I did not find that option, which doesn't mean it does not exist of course :) I need IMAP to work but it does not have to be accesible through any email client.

My problem is that there is ( has to be ) an anti-spam php script constantly running on the server, it connects to every email account through IMAP, checks if the sender is authorized to send you emails and so on and then allow the emails to be downloaded through POP3 email client.

It works great, except this stupid 'bonus' message...The original version of the script was connecting to the email accounts through POP but it was causing some problems when you tried to download emails from your account at the same time the check was in process so the programmer modified the script to use IMAP for the email account checking part.

It was a logical move, but it only opened another can of worms I am afraid...

When I search the Internet I am truly fascinated by how many people are having this UW IMAP pseudo message problem, and by the fact that it looks like nobody knows THE solution to it. Perhaps someone should force the UW IMAP programmers to finally do something with it but I don't think that's going to happen...

Tomas

10. perlchild

You mistunderstand me, when I say "brokenness" I mean imap uses that message FOR something(tracking read messages, and other flags, among other things) (so flagging the message read(or not) if your pop client deletes the message, despite not showing it to you, it still will cause problems...
    The two solutions I've found that work every time are...
    1) only use uw ipop3d with uw-imap(or another, uw-aware pop daemon, perhaps)
    2) do not mix pop and imap on any single account, if your antispam script cannot use pop, educate your users on using imap...
    Good luck

11. tomfra

tomfra Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like changing the pop server software might be really complicated from the comments I read so I am also thinking about another possibility.

As I mentioned a few posts above, the anti-spam php script used to be connecting to email accounts through POP originally but the programmer modified it to use IMAP instead because he though it could fix the problem. It did, but it also created another one...

So if I ask him to change the script back to use POP instead of IMAP, I will probably get rid of this problem but will also have the fix the original one but perhaps someone knows how to fix it...

The original problem was that when the php script was checking a given email account for new messages and you at the same time tried to connect to the same account you were disconnected and had to redownload the emails.

The php script checks all accounts in cycles - i.e. account 1, account 2, account 3 and then again account 1, account 2 and so on. So the more accounts you have the more reliable the script is - which means that you can download more emails or a relatively big attachment.

This problem is probably related to cppop as well. I was getting error messages saying either "You have been logged out because of a new session" or a standard "You have been disconnected from the server...". If someone knows how to solve this problem, it would be probably less pain than installing a completely different POP3 software.

I am not sure but my web host told me this could have something to do with the lock files but that's something I have no experience with.

Thanks.

Tomas

12. tomfra

tomfra Well-Known Member

qpopper problem

Well, I have finally decided to install qpopper and at least test it. The installation itself was very simple, probably thanks to the great installation manual that comes with it.

However, now when I try to access any pop account I get a "ERR [AUTH] Password supplied for "username@domain.com" is incorrect " . I had the same problem when I tried ipop3d so it is probably not related to qpopper itself.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks.

Tomas

13. tomfra

tomfra Well-Known Member

The only thing that I need now is to make qpopper look for passwords into the right directory. That is why I am getting that authentification problem.

It looks into /etc/passwd but it should look into /home/username/etc/passwd , the same problem is with the mail directory.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change this somewhere in the qpopper config? Or I would need to find a way how to merge all virtual accounts password files into one, the /etc/passwd file lists only 'real' users.

I think I am getting closer, but it's a slow process...

Thanks.

Tomas

14. perlchild

cppop 5 in cpanel 7(I'm running edge) announces the capability to remove the message, by the way

15. tomfra

tomfra Well-Known Member

I know, I asked the Cpanel support to implement this feature and they did. However, meanwhile the script programmer found a solution to my problem.

The pseudo message is not created when you access the email account via both pop and imap protocol but is created when you delete at least one message via imap. He altered the script to connect through imap but delete messages through pop.

Tomas