The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Apache2 Support

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by web2corp, May 8, 2006.

1. web2corp

web2corp Member

Hello,

There has been a lot of talk of Apache 2 support (finally) being included in the next release of cPanel. From the Bugzilla, it looks like we should be getting it in Edge here very soon. I have one question that needs to be addressed so I can make a decision on what course of action to take with my hosting company.

One of the greatest features of Apache 2 is the ability to reload httpd.conf on the fly. One of the things that is a HUGE bottleneck on our box right now is the restarting of apache every time we add a new account (We are a free host, hence why we need to pack as many accounts per box as possible) The load on the server while it is serving is very very low. Until apache restarts. Then it has to re-parse that config file, which takes forever, and while it's doing it it stops serving pages.

Will cPanel support reload as a part of it's signup scripts, or is it going to issue a restart each time.

The answer to that question is going to be the difference between hours vs. minutes of work. If it will use reload, I'm happy. if it won't, then i am going to have to desin some sort of stagin box for new signups and a script that relocates them to the "production" machines nightly.

Thanks,

Brandon