The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about backup in whm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ljwhite, Apr 17, 2006.

1. ljwhite

ljwhite Well-Known Member

How dose backup work in whm? Where can i get these backup files? Many thanks in advance.

2. Kasper

Kasper Active Member

What exact files are you looking for? Do you use some remote server for the backups?
    If you save them locally (most likely this is the bad idea), they should be placed under /backup/ folder.
    "cpbackup" script creates several folders when it starts
    /backup/cpbackup/daily
    /backup/cpbackup/monthly etc

It depends on how you configured it in WHM : daily, monthly, weekly

So, by default, backup will be created in the folder /backup/cpbackup/

cpbackup script makes the copies of all files related to an account, so you will be able to restore this user even on the new server which uses cPanel

Hope this helps.

3. ljwhite

Thanks for your help. I found these backup files in \backup\cpbackkup folder. I set the type of backup is daily backup in whm. But i saw the "modified" time of these backup files under /backup/cpbackup/daily is earlier time. i.e. abc.tar.gz "modified" 03./02/2006.
    What is the reason for this? If i want to restore one account, what shall i do through whm? You said it is not a good idea to backup on local server. So you think it is better to backup to remote server? If that, what shall i do to backup files to remote server?

4. Kasper

Kasper Active Member

The first thing is to add the second drive to backup your account or (and most preferable) setup a remote server and use it for the backups. The reason is that you can be sure you can restore any accounts anytime
    You can check when the backup script starts by using the command
    crontab -l | grep backup

just run it using shell command prompt

You can configure your server to backup files remotely, it can be done in WHM, COnfigure Backup section.
    There you need to specift what server you want to copy the files to, username and password to access the remote machine

To restore an account go to "Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file" or "Restore backups" section.
    I suppose you will be able to figure out how it works, if not - - email me.

Thank you.

5. ljwhite

Thanks for your great help!