The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about backups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cawheele, Mar 21, 2005.

1. cawheele

cawheele Registered

So I have a question about backups.

Right now I have about 30 clients on my reseller account. I'd say about 15 of them have MySQL databases, for either a CMS, osCommerce, or both. Now, I have seen a PHP script to install that would email a backup to you if you set up a Cronjob. Alternatively, I have seen a script that makes a backup and stores it in your backup directory.

Now, if you made backups that were stored in a backup directory, what good would that do if a server crashed? The backups would not be accessible.

As far as the email goes, most email accounts I have seen are capped at about 2 MB. Some of these databases are bigger than that. And if you set up an email account in cPanel with a bigger quota, you still run into the problem of not being able to get your backup if the server is down.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/tips about this?

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Normally the backup directory would be a second hard drive. If the main drive fails, the 2nd one is still good. For additional security, some keep backups elsewhere in case of a major datacenter problem, but 99% of problems are hard drive failures or damage which will rarely affect both drives, unless the backup one isn't unmounted and someone does rm -Rf /* in shell. :eek:

3. Piggers

Piggers Member

Look for a script called phpmybackup. This script allows you to store the database files in 2 seperate locations. One being your ftp server of your choice. Two would be to a directory on your server.

Extremely easy to setup. The interface is simple to use for making backups and restoring specific database if necessary.