The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about config

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Funkeytaste, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Funkeytaste

Funkeytaste Registered

Hello everyone, I am new here, and I have a question...

In WHM 11.28.76 I have installed Joomla on a new IP and after the installation Im notified that the config file is set to unwritable, where do I change this default setting so its writable, this has made installation a bit time consuming with the current setting..

Thanks in advance...

Nathaniel

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Your host can assist you with this. Short of that, in your cPanel find the File Manager and open it. Navigate to the public_html directory via the tree on your left, then to the directory if there is one, where your Joomla is setup. Find the configuration.php file and click once. Now right click and choose "Change Permissions" and on the window that comes up, select the appropriate boxes that changes it to 666. Now save.

That file should now be writable. I suggest setting this back to 644 once you've completed doing what you need to.

GL!

3. Funkeytaste

Funkeytaste Registered

Thank you for your info, however that didnt answer my question, I know how to change permissions once my config file is made, the problem I'm having is I actually need a setting changed before the config file is made, which means I need to changed something on my dedicated server so each time a new website is created we dont have to copy and paste the config settings then create a config file and insert into the root folder.

I called Godaddy and they informed me there was no support for dedicated servers when making changes like this, but anywhere I have ever received hosting I have never had to create my config file after installing because config file was unwritable, this makes for a longer install process

I hope this explains my problem a little more...

Thanks again.
    Nathaniel

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    It certainly does explain things a bit more, and takes us into a whole other direction. :p

I suppose the way your installing the Joomla site might matter here as well. It sounds to me like you don't need to change something on your server, you want to change something in the install routine in however you're installing the script.

How is the Joomla site being installed?

5. kotakomputer

kotakomputer Member

This post may give you an idea how to custom Joomla installation: Joomla! • View topic - Custom Joomla Installation