The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about cPanel's webmail [moved]

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by DarkScythe, Aug 7, 2006.

1. DarkScythe

DarkScythe Registered

Hello everyone,

I am new here, so if there is something I may have missed, please forgive me and point me in the right direction. I tried to search, but I'm not sure how to phrase my search for this.

In any case, I recently moved hosts because my old one was sold off. I grabbed a full cPanel backup (the ones that say you can't restore them, only the host can), along with the home dir backup and backups of my DB's, filters, and aliases.

I sent my new host my copy of the host-only backup file, and they restored my account. There were a few hiccups with WHM, and my choosing a different username at the beginning, because I wasn't aware that it affected backup restoration.
    In any case, everything was handled and the account was restored, but when I tried to access my webmail, I ran into a curious problem.

I had 3 email accounts. My "main" account under my username, and 2 other accounts I added via cPanel years ago. One is my primary, and one is my spam account for registering at places like fileshack, etc. These are all separate accounts and receive their own mail.
    I used to log in via cPanel, to my main account and see the inboxes for all 3 accounts, each in their own inbox folders.

However, now when I logged in, my main account was filled with every single email from my other two accounts as well, with no other inbox listing. I logged into the other accounts by themselves (they normally shouldn't have access to anything else anyway) and they displayed their own mail. I have sent some questions to my current host, but they are baffled.
    One response was that in older versions of cPanel, one used to be able to manage all email accounts through the main account, but recent versions changed that. I never kept up with cPanel news, so could this be it?
    I'm not sure how it explains the copies of other account's emails in my main account though. And I say copies because I deleted all the spam from the main account, but they were all still there in the individual accounts when I logged into them.

Should I have to restore anything else from my set of backups to get proper email functionality, or am I just not using this correctly?

Thanks in advance.

2. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could be that in converting your old mail folders over to the newer version of cpanel mashed it all together into one (your new host must be using maildir). Interesting dilemma. Not sure how up to date Bonnie kept things but would be my best "guesstimate". Also not sure if convert2maildir can be run for just one account or not - have to wait and see if Chirpy or someone in the know chimes in.

In any case, if you are the DarkScythe from over at CH, welcome! I used to be MCT over on the CH forums a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Hope your new host works out for you! :)

3. DarkScythe

DarkScythe Registered

lol Hello, MCT

I remember you back in the days on the old forum with like 74 members.. lol
    That was like 3 years ago, when she was actually concerned about her business, I'm surprised anyone remembered me from so long ago.
    I'm with AxisHost, if that helps with the troubleshooting. Settling in, but they're taking very good care of me :)

Is there anything I could do in the mean time, or should I leave things alone until a solution is found? (Or maybe sort of.. "reset" the accounts by deleting them and remaking them? Although I'd end up losing all the important email in the current accounts..)

Thanks again

edit:
    Does the "main" account count as an email account in cPanel?
    I think I remember it being counted in the past (at least with CH) and it would say I have 3/xx accounts, but right now it's only reporting 2/xx..

4. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sure I remember you! That was back when people on there were almost like a family. :) Good to see you're doing well.

As for your situation, it's a tough one since I'm still not sure the who, whats, hows... What I might try (were you my customer) is have you create the two new (old) accounts over again, then copy all the mail from the main account to both the others. Then you could just go in and delete what doesn't belong in each one. :D

5. DarkScythe

DarkScythe Registered

Ah, hmm..
    That may work, although do I have access to copying/restoring my main account's email into the other accounts, or does the host have to do that?

Also, does this mean that it indeed was a recent change in cPanel, and I cannot get this previous functionality back? (That is, being able to manage/view all my various accounts' inboxes via logging into my main account?)

Thanks again

6. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

If the host is using the newer maildir configuration then it should be
    no problem moving the mail between the accounts.

Mail is stored on the servers in your hosting account:

/mail/(domain)/(mail username)/new New Mail
    /mail/(domain)/(mail username)/cur Mail read but not deleted

You can just copy the files from the directory for the one user to the other

Now if the host is using the older mbox format, it gets a lot more
    complicated because you are dealing with single "inbox" files that
    can easily get corrupted if you don't know what you are doing.
    Of course, if your new host is still using mbox then I'd be looking
    for a new 'new host' because that would be a sign to me that they
    aren't really updated on things and it would make me very
    concerned about what else isn't up to date.