The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about "dedicated IP address"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ljwhite, Jul 9, 2006.

1. ljwhite

ljwhite Well-Known Member

I heard that WHM can assign every account a dedicated IP address, right? I have almost 44 accounts on my host server. I have given 3 accounts dedicated IP addresses. Now i want to give another account a dedicated account, so i went to WHM->IP Functions->Change Site’s IP address, but i did not see any availabe dedicated IP address. What is the problem? Many thanks in advance!

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

How much Ip address did your Hosting company assiged you ? If they have assiged you 3 IP address and as you have already used it, you will not be able to see any other IP address in the "Change Site’s IP address" function.

Either you will have to use the already assigned IP address as a Shared one or you will have to purchase extra IPs from your Hosting company and then you can use for other domains.

3. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It should also be noted that the only reason an account needs a dedicated IP is for a secure certificate. Some might say you need a dedicated IP for better page rank with google and other search engines. I do invite you to read an interview that Slashdot had with Craig Silverstein of Google:

http://interviews.slashdot.org/interviews/02/07/03/1352239.shtml

read question #5

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that link :)