The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about dns setup

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by hosttosucceed, Jan 21, 2007.

1. hosttosucceed

hosttosucceed Member

Alright I have two computers
    Server
    Backup

Server has Cpanel on it
    Backup does not

How do I set them up so I have two nameservers, I was thinking ns1.myhosting.com would be on server and then ns2.myhosting.com would be on backup, im wondering if this is possible to do? Is it possible to have both nameservers on the same computer?

The Ideal setup would be if Server goes down Backup comes up, but it would have to use Webmin or something, what I really want is just so it can serve the webpages.

2. dafut

dafut Well-Known Member

Yes it can be done. Modifications need to be made to named in cPanel so that it acts as Master; the other server must be set to Slave, receiving "notifies" from the master.

Should be plenty of HOWTO info online to help you configure your named.conf files.

3. wjdennen

wjdennen Member

What about the other way around?

I want my cpanel server to be a SLAVE of an external DNS server, which is a master and not running cpanel.

I can edit named.conf to allow for this.

However, cpanel seems to constantly change the permissions on /var/named/ so that I end up getting file permissions errors.

Specifically, if I make /var/named group writable, everything works. Then cpanel automagically resets permissions on that directory, and I get errors.

any ideas?

4. dafut

dafut Well-Known Member

Have you tried setting the sticky bit on the named domain.db files?

# chmod 1664 *.db

will set the files sticky bit;

or

# chattr +i *.db

will make the file "immutable" where the flag needs to be unset before even root can change it (will not work on Virtuozzo servers).

Let us know if either of those works for you or if you've already tried it.

#4 dafut, Jan 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  5. wjdennen

wjdennen Member

Thanks. I'm not sure if that will help, though. The problem seems to be that named wants to create domain.name.jnl files inside of /var/named/.

When cpnale sets the permissions on /var/named, those .jnl files can not be created. :(

6. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We run our backup DNS server using cPanels free DNS Only package, it is the way to go for now. http://layer1.cpanel.net/