The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about messages in my log file...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by psrch, Mar 7, 2012.

1. psrch

psrch Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm getting the following messages in /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log - any idea on how to correct the issue(s)?

[2012-03-05 02:09:30 -0500] warn [featureadmin] User file '/var/cpanel/users/root' is empty or non-existent. at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Config/LoadCpUserFile.pm line 106
    Cpanel::Config::LoadCpUserFile::_load('root', undef, 0) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Config/LoadCpUserFile.pm line 25
    Cpanel::Config::LoadCpUserFile::load('root') called at bin/featureadmin line 38
    [2012-03-05 02:09:30 -0500] warn [featureadmin] Failed to load cPanel user file for root at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Config/LoadCpUserFile.pm line 28
    [2012-03-05 02:09:31 -0500] warn [featureadmin] User file '/var/cpanel/users/root' is empty or non-existent. at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Config/LoadCpUserFile.pm line 106
    Cpanel::Config::LoadCpUserFile::_load('root', undef, 0) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Config/LoadCpUserFile.pm line 25
    [2012-03-05 02:09:31 -0500] warn [featureadmin] Failed to load cPanel user file for root at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Config/LoadCpUserFile.pm line 28

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you please submit a ticket about this issue as a bug report using http://go.cpanel.net/bugs or using the link at the top of the forum? I am not finding an existing report and I'm seeing similar errors in my cPanel error_log as well. While these are low-level errors due to the root user not having a cPanel users file, the cause of the error would still be helpful to be investigated.

Thanks!

3. psrch

psrch Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Here's the response from cPanel support:

4. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can enable access to cpanel for root user from WHM Main >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings, by enabling
    Accounts that can access a cPanel user account: to Root, Account-Owner, and cPanel User default.

5. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The root username isn't going to be able to log into cPanel, though, which is apparently what is causing the error to occur. Even if you enable that access, which is the default already, that only logs in as the cPanel account user's name and the root user's password. It isn't going to allow the root username cPanel login access.

6. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just submitted my ticket.

Experiencing the same thing and starting to see more users cropping up with this around the community forums.

Just started happening for me a few day ago, but I can see it started for some people weeks ago.

Example from my log scans:

[2012-03-23 01:08:04 -0500] warn [featureadmin] User file '/var/cpanel/users/root' is empty or non-existent. at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Config/LoadCpUserFile.pm line 106
    [2012-03-23 01:08:04 -0500] warn [featureadmin] Failed to load cPanel user file for root at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Config/LoadCpUserFile.pm line 28

7. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    And this is the response I got to my ticket:

"This happens when a user tries to log into cPanel using the user root instead of a cPanel user. You can try this by tailing /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log and then trying to log into cPanel as root."

So at least we have confirmation of the source. But why all of the sudden this it just start showing up in error logs?

8. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As it turns out, this issue is NOT ONLY limited to "when a user tries to log into cPanel using the user root instead of a cPanel user".

With the latest cpanel "release" update the error also generates during cPanel Nightly Backups on one of my servers. (Started around April 13th for me).

When nightly backups run an instance of this appears in /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log for every acount on the server:

[2012-04-19 01:08:16 -0500] warn [featureadmin] User file '/var/cpanel/users/root' is empty or non-existent. at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Config/LoadCpUserFile.pm line 115
    Cpanel::Config::LoadCpUserFile::_load('root', undef, 0) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Config/LoadCpUserFile.pm line 24

NOTE - the error is the same over and over, it doesn't create one for each username, just root. In other words - if I have 120 accounts on the server, that block of error code will appear 120 times in a row in the error log every night during cPanel Nightly Backup.

:confused:

9. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you believe this to be a bug that needs to be submitted, please submit a bug report rather than a regular ticket inquiry. Bug reports go to http://go.cpanel.net/bugs location or using the link at the top of the forum titled Bugs. Thanks!

10. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK I'll try that, since the ticket I submitted yesterday is not going too well so far.

In the ticket I submitted yesterday, in the first post I mentioned that this error was generating in:

/usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log

Then today, this is the response to the ticket so far:

No. Seriously. I'm not kidding.

So yeah, I think I'll try the bug report option that you suggest...