Question about mounting a drive [moved]

Kaveyhosting

Apr 20, 2005
Question about mounting a drive

Is there any way to mount a second hard drive in cpanel without formatting it? The drive I need to mount has backups of all of my sites. I went to do the mount in cpanel and realized it was going to erase the drive then I did Man mount in shell and I think I understand their instructions but im afraid to run much because if it messes something up it will take the dc 3 days to fix. If there is no way in cpanel can anyone tell me if this is the correct command to mount a drive in shell?

The drive name he gave me was hdb
mount /old/hdb
Would that be the right command to mount the drive to a directory called old? Thanks for the answers.

Blue|Fusion

Sep 12, 2004
Cleveland, Ohio
You can temporarily mount with mkdir /mnt/olddrive; mount /dev/hdb /mnt/olddrive

You can then access the drive at /mnt/olddrive. If it's going to stay on the server, you can setup fstab for it.

DigitalN

Sep 23, 2004
To mount a drive or partition in an ssh session

# fdisk -l

Will list all the drives and partitions. Look for the hdb one, you should see /dev/hdbx x being a number.

If it was your old drive, you may see several partitions.

To mount them

eg

# cd /

# mkdir oldusr

# mount /dev/hdbx oldusr

hdbx would be the correct partition number, eg /dev/hdb2

Do that for each partition, mkdir oldhome oldroot as required and mount them.

Kaveyhosting

Apr 20, 2005
Ty all.. I got them all restored and now when you go to the site you get a 403 forbidden... any clue? Freshly loaded os and cpanel. I restarted the nameservers after the change

DigitalN

Sep 23, 2004
Try

# /scripts/enablefileprotect

or

Make sure that the public_html for each user is chowned $user:nobody