The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about mySQL upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sipo23, May 17, 2010.

1. sipo23

sipo23 Registered

Hello just wondering I was upgrading the MySQL within WHM on my server to 5.1 and at the same time I was uninstalling a program on my pc that program required me to restart my pc I said yes without thinking and my browser exited my question is will the mysql upgrade process continue in the background even though i exited my browser while the mysql upgrade was still going on?

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Please provide the following details so that we may more accurately diagnose the situation:
    1.) What step was the MySQL upgrade process in at the time of closing the browser session?
    2.) What was the older or previous version of MySQL that was installed, before the upgrade?
    3.) When re-accessing the MySQL Upgrade section in WHM, does it appear any different than what was seen before initiating the upgrade process?

I believe the process may continue, but to be certain it would help greatly to know the above information.

3. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

The MySQL upgrade is background spawned and reasonably fast ----
    I don't think you will impact your MySQL upgrade itself disconnecting :)

HOWEVER ...

The second part of the upgrade process is that you need to rebuild your Apache and applications such as PHP to use the new MySQL and that one can indeed be impacted by you disconnecting.

I would login to your shell as root and run "mysql" and see if you can get into MySQL and take note of the version number. If it is showing the new version and doesn't give you any problems logging into it then you are more than likely perfectly fine.

(If it's not then you can probably start the MySQL upgrade over again from the very beginning in that case)

The next step there would be to run /scripts/EasyApache either from the shell or from WHM and rebuild your server environment just to be sure.

After those, doesn't hurt to run a "/scripts/securemysql -a" but otherwise you should be pretty much good to go.