The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about primary domain setup in cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Firestorm, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Firestorm

Firestorm Member

On my old semi-dedicated server (very old) I had to have a primary domain setup on my server and then all other (additional) domains were setup as Virtual Hosts. My new dedicated server has cPanel installed and I have read through the documentation and various "new user" guides posted in this and other forums but none of them explain how the primary domain is setup. I can resolve to my server's primary IP Address and it displays a generic cPanel page stating that a web page has not been setup yet. However, when I log into WHM via "http://xx.xx.xx.xxx/whm" and click on "Change Hostname", there is only the ability to change the hostname and add an "A Record". I don't see any place to configure account settings for the primary domain.

Am I supposed to add "all" of my domains through "Create a New Account"? If so, what determins which domain is the primary domain for the server at the primary server's IP Address?

My Server's OS is Red Hat 3 Enterprise Edition and the cPanel version is WHM 9.9.8 cPanel 9.9.8-R119 if that helps.

I would appreciate any insight and I thank you for your time.

2. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    create a new account with the name as the servername. If the C-panel dosent allow you to do that; then change the hostname to something else, create the domain and change the hostname manually at the shell as root.

3. neonix

neonix Well-Known Member

you hostname has to be xxx.yourdomain.com, where xxx can be anything.

You can setup yourdomain.com as a account using whm as you would normally set other accounts.

4. Firestorm

Firestorm Member

I guess I was making the process to difficult. :rolleyes: Another question I have is before I always had to make sure that the domain resolved to the server (IP Address) before I added it as a Virtual Host, and I'm wondering if I need to make sure the domains point to the server IP address before I configure a "New Account" in cPanel?

Also, I use "Register.com" Name Servers for controlling where my domains point to. What are the benefits of creating my own Name Servers other then having my own Name Server domain show as Name Servers in WHOIS? Is this feature mostly for host providers who prefer to allow clients to use the host provider's Name Servers? I think having my own Name Servers would be cool but I am not a host provider and in cPanel it sounded like it would add allot of strain to my server. Does creating your own Name Servers put a considerable load on the server?

5. neonix

neonix Well-Known Member

It is not necessary to make sure the domains point to the server IP address before you configure a "New Account" in cPanel?

Till your domain is propogated, You can view your files as www.yourdomain.com/~accountname

I don't see any significant advantage to setup personal nameservers if you do not provide hosting...but personal nameservers will cause no strain...and are fairly easy to configure using cpanel.

6. yeohbaby

yeohbaby Member

I'm new to cpanel as well and I don't understand why you would want to create the account name to match the domain name.

Wouldn't you create the account name to be either the person or the company the domain belongs to?

What about in the instance of a person owning multiple domains? Would you still create separate accounts or use the subdomains or parking facility?

What method would be considered a 'best' practice if I want to host my own domains (a few) and resell hosting also?

TIA

7. neonix

neonix Well-Known Member

Take a reseller account with WHM.

8. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    and setup your own personalized nameservers.. you are done. :)