The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about "ssl" issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ljwhite, May 11, 2006.

1. ljwhite

ljwhite Well-Known Member

I have many hosted domains on my host server. Now i install oscommerce on one hosted domain(a.com). But i finf there is no ssl certificated on a.com. Now i have installed certificate on my host server. And i know i can not install one ssl certificate on different domains. I know there is an option in whm that i can generate/sign ssl certificate from host server to hosted domain. I want to know:
    1. what is the difference between sign ssl certificate in whm to hosted domain between i buy one ssl certificate from other company?
    2. Is this secure if i sign ssl certificate in whm to hosted domain? If it is secure, what shall i do in whm?
    Many thanks in advance.

2. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think I can answer part of your question. A self-signed SSL does not ensure the business is valid, hence anyone can use a self signed SSL whereas a paid for SSL does have some validation abeit not much (just my opinion) but it does have some validation (i.e. email address and usually a voice recording). To run a SSL certificate you need a dedicated IP or it will become a shared certificate. The best thing for a SSL on OsCommerce is to get a dedicated IP, move the site to that IP, buy a SSL certificate for the domain you put on the dedicated IP, install the certificate, then install OsCommerce and install it using the option to have a secure checkout. Good Luck

3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Self-signed certificates are secure, but being self-signed, browsers don't recognize them. The problem is, when a customer goes to a secure page using a self-signed certificate, they will get a popup saying the certificate isn't recognized and asking if they want to accept it.

4. ljwhite

Thanks for your help! I think i would give this account(a.com) a dedicated IP and then buy a ssl certificate for this account. But how could i give this account a dedicated IP in WHM?

5. PWSowner

Account Functions

Change Site's IP Address

6. ljwhite

Thanks for your help. I went to Account Functions->Change Site's IP Address->a.com, I got the below information:
    Current Address: xx.xx.130.245 (main shared ip)
    Current Sub/Parked Domains:

New Address: xx.xx.130.247

Warning: Changing a site's ip address may cause it to appear down from some locations until the dns has propgated to all nameservers on the internet.

Now i want to know if i do not want to use xx.xx.130.247 in the future. Can i change it back to xx.xx.130.245? If i can, what shall i do?

7. PWSowner

Just do the same thing again. It'll show the shared IP as an alternative.

8. ljwhite

Thanks for your great help. I want to ask you the last question. Is this possible that i buy one kind of ssl certificate that i can install it on different hosted accounts(a.com b.com ...)?So i do not need buy ssl certificate for every domain that need ssl certificate.

9. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No, it's not possible, unless you have a spare half million lying around. :D Being able to do that would make you the same as your SSL providers! However, a number of suppliers sell SSL really cheaply and you should be able to get good certificates for under $20US. eg: GoDaddy is one of them. I've even heard of specials for US$5 per certificate!

#9 brianoz, May 16, 2006
    Last edited: May 16, 2006