The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about the output of TOP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PWSowner, Nov 4, 2004.

1. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Here are 3 lines from my top output:

Code:
     6570 named      9   0 50848  48M  7808 S     0.0  9.8  1001m named -u named
     6571 named      9   0 50848  48M  7808 S     0.0  9.8   5:27 named -u named
     6572 named      9   0 50848  48M  7808 S     0.0  9.8 269:06 named -u named
    In the first one the time is recorded as 1001m while the others are the usual hours:minutes.

I've never seen that before. Why is it being shown differently?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I would presume it's because the 4 figure minute exceeded the character count and so it dropped showing seconds and tenths and is just showing minutes. 1001 minutes seems a lot of CPU time, how long has the server be up since the last reboot? Is your BIND configuration allowing open resolver requests?

3. PWSowner

What are the units for the time column?

I thought it was hours and minutes because while I watch it, that looked like what it must be, but I just checked again, 9 hours later, and the process 6572 is now at 270:59 which does not look like 9 hours later than the previous 269:06.

1000 minutes is only 16.6667 hours. Is that a long time for any process to be running?

Last server reboot - 4.5 days ago.

How do I check if my BIND configuration is allowing open resolver requests?

Should I kill process 6570?

Thanks Chirpy. I had a feeling you would be one of the folks replying. :)
    Actually, I have another question just for you because it's about email. I'll ask it seperately a little later. Have to go out now for a bit.

4. PWSowner

Perfect example of my limitations of knowledge. I've never claimed to know everything and now I can prove it. ;)

Where you said "1001 minutes seems a lot of CPU time" got me to do some research and some testing and I found out that I had the wrong idea of that column. I always though it was showing minutes and seconds the process has been running. I found out it's actually minutes and seconds of CPU time, like you said. I figured, like you said, that 1001 minutes of CPU time is a lot so I restarted bind.

Thanks Chirpy. Now I have to make a minor modification to my server monitor script.

It currently says things like:
    - The process ID #3583 under the user root is using 3.8% CPU and 0.1% Memory with the command top which has been running for 0 minutes and 03 seconds.

but should actually say:
    - The process ID #3583 under the user root is using 3.8% CPU and 0.1% Memory with the command top which has been using 0 minutes and 03 seconds of CPU time.

Always new things to learn. ;)

Now I have an email question for you. :D
    new thread

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Remember that the CPU time is the amount of time the CPU has had to give up cycles to a process, it's not how long a process has run for. A high CPU time usually indicates a process under unusually high load (typically caused by loops). 16 hours is an awful lot of CPU time in only 4.5 days.

Odd that it seems to think that it has lost time, though ;) Maybe it was just top having a wobble.

You can test your server for a bind resolver by using another PC, e.g. under windows you can try from a command window (where 11.22.33.44 is your servers IP address):

nslookup
    server 11.22.33.44
    webumake.com

Don't choose a domain that the server is authoratitive for ;)

If it resolves, anyone can use your bind server for domain resolving - not good. If it comes back with a load of domain server you should try, it's not resolving - good. There's a thread here about locking down your name server:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=15922

You don't need to split of the logging as described in the thread, but you do need the trusted ACL stuff. Make sure you add the servers own IP and any secondary DNS servers that you have to the trusted list. Failure to do so will break it :)

6. PWSowner

It's allowing open requests. :(

I'll check out the other thread and do something about it. Thanks again.