Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about updating PHP version

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arjanvr, Jul 15, 2017.

1. arjanvr

arjanvr Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

A system administrator was working on my server today after someone apearently hacked into WHM (not sure how they did that because i use authenticator) but the managed to create a website and change my root password.

He saw and told me that cpanel is using an extremly inefficient php variant.. something he said like the i varient. Most likely because it was easy to use with multiphp. Is this true and can it be improved to a more effective variant?

And while i am submitting here, how can someone got trough my authenticator to be able to do that? or can he do everything from shell?

Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you provide some more details about this?

It's difficult to pinpoint the specific vulnerability or exploit used by an attacker to hack your websites. One could speculate on common methods (e.g. symlink attack), but it really requires a qualified system administrator to investigate the logs on your server and determine the source of the attack. There is a thread here where a similar question is asked:

Log Files To Check After Account Hacked

Thank you.