The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question/concert about Reseller Bandwidth and Quota Limits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by noimad1, Mar 4, 2006.

1. noimad1

noimad1 Well-Known Member

Ok, I have a question that has me a little concerened.

I have a reseller who I give 60GB of bandwidth to. He used it all up, and his account was suspended. However, all of his reseller accounts are still active?

Now, shouldn't all of his reseller accounts count against his total bandwidth? That's how I understood that it worked for years. I thought you gave the reseller the quota (space) and bandwidth limitations, and if any of their sub-accounts, or their accounts went over bandwidth then they all were over?

So am I wrong on this? I mean, shouldn't their sub-accounts be counted in their account?

This has me very concerned, becuase i probably have 100 resellers, and this could be happening with them all?

2. noimad1

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

3. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

Re:

hi,
    Are you sure you've limited his bandwidth quota from "resellers Centre"

Also make sure you don't have checked
    Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings
    Notification --> "Disable Suspending accounts that exceed their bandwidth limit (will clear all suspensions is disabled)"

also check check if you specified his main a/c. with specific b'width limit while setting his main a/c.

see ya,
    mohit

4. noimad1

Ok, all of this time I was under the assumption that whatever quota you had set for the users account applied to his reseller accounts.

I thought I was told on this forum a long time ago that setting the resource limit in the reseller section will just prevent the user from allocating more bandwidth then they had, but as long as their account had a bandwidth limit set then they could give their reseller accounts unlimited bandwidth, but if they went over their own bandwidth (theirs plus their reseller accounts) it would suspend all of their accounts?

If I set his "resource limitation" to 5000mb, and he wants to offer just one of his users 5000mb, then he can't setup any other accounts. I don't want to have to go through that with all my resellers...

I mean, if my user wants to offer more bandwidth then they actually have they should be able to do it. It is more of a marketing thing most of the time anyways.....And the actual suspending of his account, and reseller accounts should be on actual consumption of his account + reseller accounts.

I mean, doesn't that make more sense?

Or am I just crazy thinking this way?

Do you guys limit your resellers number of accounts they can create by Resource Usage?

5. electric

electric Well-Known Member

Yes.

We limit everything, in this area of the reseller center for the reseller's account:

- Number of accounts they can create
    - Bandwidth
    - Diskspace

6. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

hi,
    Ofcourse, even when you buy a reseller pack with any prominent player on web, you do get limits set, and one should always limit their resellers.

Limiting Bandwidth is whats more sensible way of restricting your reseller than number of a/c's.

see ya,
    mohit

7. noimad1

So none of you guys will allow your accounts to setup sub-accounts with more bandwidth allocated to them then what they have? I mean it makes sense, but what a pain.

Wouldn't it just be easeier if the reseller ran out of bandwidth all accounts/sub-accounts were suspended?

I mean, our automated system doesn't set any of those limits. That means I have to go back and set probably 100 resellers quotas...and if any have unlimited set for their sub-accounts I have to fix that.

Let's say i have a small reseller with 3 accounts, and maybe they are his personal accounts, and he wants to set all of them to unlimited so they share the bandwidth? What then? They can't do it? I have a "triple domain" package that this happens with all the time.

On the flip side, if a reseller were to set a sub-account to unlimited, would they in a sense have unlimited bandwidth, or if they reached his allocated bandwidth for his reseller account, would they be suspended?

This is a huge problem.....

8. electric

electric Well-Known Member

Set the bandwidth resource limit in the reseller center in your WHM, and then enable overselling.

They can then create whatever plans they want, and they'll be limited to whatever resources you specified in their reseller center settings.

9. noimad1

Ok, I think that is what I was looking for....I'll give that a try.

Thanks!

10. compunet2

compunet2 Well-Known Member

I'm having an issue with this.... I have a reseller who is marked for 'over sell', but has a bandwidth limit. They have exceeded this limit, but their accounts are still not suspending. It only seems to suspend one particular account if that account goes over the set quota. The reseller quota seems to make no difference.... it doesn't suspend no matter what is entered there.

11. noimad1

Do you have a quota set both for the reseller account, and set in the reseller center as well? I think that is what has to be done...

12. compunet2

It is set on both. I'm having this issue on 2 servers.

13. compunet2

Well, I have confirmed with cPanel, that this is the desired result??? This is the reply I got:

"This is the expected behavior. The resource usage limits are only used to prevent resellers from creating accounts with more space/bandwidth than their limits (unless overselling is enabled). Resellers are not suspended when they exceed these limits."

So basically, if you use overselling, your giving your resellers unlimited quotas, because anything that is entered is not enforced anyway. Vote for the bugzilla to get this issue resolved!

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=1918

14. compunet2

Anyone got a work-around for this until cPanel comes up with a fix? Maybe a 3rd party script that will suspend when the reseller goes over quota....

Vote for this bug to get it fixed: http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=1918

15. silversurfer

silversurfer Well-Known Member

I posted that bug report 2 years ago. Amazing that it hasn't been addressed 2 years later, with 6 votes on it for the longest time.