The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for Dns - Bind - Cluster experts

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by altomarketing2, Jun 27, 2012.

1. altomarketing2

altomarketing2 Well-Known Member

is a question for the staff or experts cpanel dns, bind and cluster.

Scenario
    Actually we have 4 dnsonly servers in different vps and hosting servers behind them, for all of our domains/cutomers.
    In this example, we draw only 3 servers, but are more. Thus all our customers delegate their domains only ns1.pinpin.net which is our primary dns, and using the cluster, we often to modify and migrate domains from server 1 to server 2 or 3, without the customer noticing it, we use to do when technical requirements require.

Problem
    now our resellers customer, we have them delegated directly to each old servers . They have the possibility to create their own ns1.ownreseller.net with whm , and delegate the domains of theirs clients directly to their own dns, but as them are not being integrated dns servers, we can not move them (one entire reseller) from server 4 to server 5, for example.

[​IMG]

Question:

Our idea is to copy the dnonly cluster we have to direct customers to the resellers park, but we dont know how to do it,
    1-e when a reseller in whm add your own dns, does this impacts on the dnsonly servers to the front? are added as well?
    2- should we use ns1.pinpin.net cluster ? or should we build a new one only for reseller as we draw it ?
    3-does It not generate this redundant information on dnsonly?

I hope opinions and advice on how to do

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you add the reseller servers to the DNS only machines, then the zones on the DNS only machines will be impacted as they will sync to them.

I would not use the existing cluster. Resellers are able to see all zones if you allow them to make zone file changes. Because they can see all zones in the cluster, they could remove or edit zones that they do not control.

I'm not certain I understand question 3. The point of clustering the machines is for allowing redundancy. In order to have redundancy, though, you'd have to have two or more DNS only machines.

3. altomarketing2

altomarketing2 Well-Known Member

you can see image here http://s8.postimage.org/4doga1uc3/dnscluster.png

[​IMG]

1-What about only let resellers in Edit reseller privileges & nameservers Add and Park, but no EDIT or Remove privileges ?

2-A colleague suggested to me that as a reseller only activates its own ns once, ask for a support ticket and support will add into the dns cluster. In this case, instead of adding directly ns to server4 (where reseller is) , where we should add the reseller own ns to belong to the cluster and let it configured to let us move a full reseller from one server to another?