The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question: how much space each (new) cpanel account needs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drmetal, Mar 8, 2010.

1. drmetal

drmetal Registered

i have a server with cpanel/whm and it's great. I Only have one account at the monent and all my websites are on it.

I am thinking about Splitting the sites to many accounts,

From what i understand there are many configuration files and folders created for cpanel to work with a new account.

My question is, how many MBs is the extra overhead for creating a new account with Cpanel ?

Thank you for your time.

Nikos

2. drmetal

drmetal Registered

someone ? anyone ?

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    The amount of disk space required for a cPanel account is purely dependent upon the needs and usage of the site's involved. An account could be assigned any disk quota, large or small (e.g., 10 GB, 10 MB, or any other number), and still function the same; the difference being how much data you can store, such as web site content, e-mails, and even site statistics, all of which may be expected to gradually increase throughout the life of the account depending on how it is used. From what I have seen I believe you could safely expect initial usage for an empty account to be well under 1 Megabyte (MB), for example, disk usage that is better measured in Kilobytes (KB) because of how low it is.

If the web site content is relatively static and does not change often then it should be OK to use a smaller disk quota, but if the content changes dynamically or if several large files are hosted you may want to consider increasing the disk quota. Additionally, if any of the new accounts are expected to host multiple sites, such as via the add-on domains feature, then this should be taken into consideration when deciding how large of a disk quota to assign.