The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question on ftp manager

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by amuron, Apr 25, 2005.

1. amuron

amuron Registered

I must be missing something really obvious in my configuration.

I normally use wsftp, but for some odd reason, it shows a file was transfered successfully, but I can't access it in a browser. I also cannot access it in ftp manager in control panel. I'm guessing it may be set as a hidden file or restricted access in some way or another. Is there a way to set ftp manager such that I can view a files status even if it is hidden. I'm guessing its a problem with wsftp, but its hard to ask them a question if I can't identify the problem.

For now my workaround has been ftp manager, but imho, its not as friendly as wsftp.

Thanks
    Ron

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Hi Ron,

wsFtp has got to be the worst FTP client I've ever used ;) I'd suggest that you try something like Filezilla which is free and simple to use:
    http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

Remember that when you FTP files to your website that you do need to upload them into your public_html/ directory for them to be seen - that is your web root.

3. amuron

amuron Registered

I downloaded WSFTP pro, to see if a version change might make a difference. I agree it is the worst piece of junk ever. My 5 year old version was loads better.

I did find the problem, my hosting provider changed their server's IP address, but are still keeping the old one alive. As such, I was ftping to a server with no relation to the DNS entrys. Once I switched to the proper IP address, everything works great.

Thanks for the pointer on filezilla. It sure seems to be a lot cleaner, and more intuitive the wsftp pto.

Ron