The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on system restore (full)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by btrieve, Dec 20, 2005.

1. btrieve

btrieve Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Is there an effective manual available or a post somewhere on these forums that discusses the various methods and ramifications of taking a fresh server, and restoring full WHM backups including dirs/files to this fresh server from a remote backup server?

Assume the nfs mount exists and the fresh server is configured and built with cpanel.

I don't see any real method of telling WHM on the fresh server to read the contents of the nfs share where the daily backup exists, nor do I see a method of having it restore dirs/files.

2. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

Easiest and safest way if you already have the files compressed, is to manually copy them to your new server with scp or similar. Then you can run the restore script local. Sometimes it can timeout when running remotely. Since you have to transfer the full amount of data anyway - might as well do it with a simple program that will not error out.

And restoring the backup works smoothly, except for DNS zones and Valiases. Some version do not restore properly, so manually check and or restore them.

3. btrieve

btrieve Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Our backup structure is not compressed, it is incremental, so we have:

/cpbackup/daily/files
    /cpbackup/daily/dirs
    /cpbackup/daily/user1
    /cpbackup/daily/user2

etc.

Where should these folders be located to get cpanel to do the complete restores from WHM?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You can use an nfs share if you wish. You would simply need to put the appropriate path to them into WHM > Backup Configuration and then select the Multiple Restore option. It's a good idea to setup any Feature Sets and plans that you had originally before starting the restore process.

5. EDevil

EDevil Member

My server's main hard drive is on it's last breath. I do daily backups using CPanel but I was wondering if the WHM settings are also in those backups.

When the HD finally dies can I just reinstall the OS and restoring everything from these CP backups and every WHM setting is preserved?

Thanks for the help.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member