The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question on the symlinks vunerability

Discussion in 'Security' started by durangod, Jul 20, 2014.

1. durangod

durangod Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    It says that the symlinks vulnerability is when you have both followsymlinks and SymLinksIfOwnerMatch turned on (enabled). Well if i just turn SymLinksIfOwnerMatch off (disable) by in apache config, wont that take care of this without having to do all this other stuff im reading about?

I certainly dont know it all but in my use i have only personally seen and used followsymlinks anyway and i dont think the average user would even know about SymLinksIfOwnerMatch or even use it.

Would that work?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

This is addressed on the following thread:

Solutions for handling symlink attacks

I've linked to the post where a list of solutions is available. Please direct any questions on the topic to that particular thread.

Thank you.

3. quizknows

quizknows Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Definitely reference that other thread.

However, what you WANT is symlinksifownermatch. Normal +followsymlinks is the issue; people can use apache to read other peoples config files without additional security precautions. Even if you disable +followsymlinks, normally users could just re-enable it in their own .htaccess, and many CMSes rely on that being on.

If you use SuPHP, the "symlink race condition protection" in EasyApache is good enough IMO.