The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question regarding nameservers, and hostname

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Knyteguy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Knyteguy

Knyteguy Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm currently hosting my website Starcraft 2 Maps | BlizzMaps.com on HostGator web hosting. Yesterday I thought it may be prudent to switch to a VPS server through JaguarPC.com (coupon WHT40... check it out) due to a pretty unbelievable deal they have going on, and because there are a few quirks between vBulletin and HostGator hosting.

Basically my question is, can I have my blizzmaps.com nameservers pointed to the HostGator host, while having my hosted nameservers (ns1.blizzmaps.com and ns2.blizzmaps.com, and vps.blizzmaps.com [server name]) pointed to my VPS server?

I'm trying to propagate everything over very smoothly, so this would definitely be the ideal way to get the server completely setup before actually switching the content over.

Is it possible? I have all the IPs set for my hosted nameservers and hostname in my registrar, but I'm not sure if they'll propagate correctly.

Thanks,
    Tony

2. Janak

Janak Well-Known Member

Create A records for NS1, NS2 and VPS from DNS Zone editor of HostGator. Point these records to your new VPS server IP address. This will use DNS zone of hostgator and point these records to your VPS server.

I would suggest to check the functionality of your websites on VPS server using temporary URLs and once you find everything ok you can just modify nameservers of your domains.

3. Knyteguy

Knyteguy Well-Known Member

Hey thanks a lot for that Janak, I've never used that cPanel feature before.

Much props!

4. Janak

Janak Well-Known Member

In this case, to avoid any mess up, I would suggest you to contact HostGator and tell them to set these records for you.