The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Regarding Packets

Discussion in 'Security' started by nootkan, Dec 1, 2014.

1. nootkan

nootkan Well-Known Member

Hello all, was wondering if someone could enlighten me a little on the meaning of this line I saw in my logs today. The ip address is mine and I'm not sure what I was doing to cause this or if someone else could actually cause it also. I have done some research on packet loss (if that is what I am seeing?) but it is a bit overwhelming for me at the moment.

2. quizknows

quizknows Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You have not provided enough information for anyone to help you. What utilities are you using and how did you obtain that output?

3. nootkan

nootkan Well-Known Member

I am using a program called logwatch and it was emailed to me. I see similar logs each day from different ips but this is the first time I saw it from my own ip and was just curious as to why? I figure it has to do with something I have been doing with my ecommerce site that I am building but just wondering if anyone had any information on what exactly a packet is and what or if any security implications come from them? Most of my research online regarding them is too technical for me to understand. My best guess is that every bit of information that is sent over the internet is done in the form of a packet which holds more information inside each of them. Am I correct or close in my assumption? Thanks for your reply.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Could you elaborate a little more on what you are doing with the website? Is it anything out of the ordinary?

Thank you.