The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Upon Nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by deadend, Jun 5, 2007.

1. deadend

deadend Active Member

Hi all,

Im new to running a cpanel web server and I have run into a question upon setting up private name servers for my reseller clients.

I currently have 4 ips assigned to my box and have setup two reseller clients and setup their private name servers, 2 for each. So i used my 4 ips on my server, do I have to add more ips to add more private name servers, or can I assign all my clients name servers to use the same two ips.

If i can assign them all to use the same two IPs, how do i got about doing this, as if I use "Assign IP" in the reseller control panel, it just takes the next free ip.

thanks,

Lane

2. dspillett

dspillett Active Member

Private nameservers should have their own IP address, so that you can set reverse DNS records for each (you can only have one rDNS setting for each IP address). If the rDNS entries for a client's private nameserver IPs do not carry their name and only their name there is little point having their own name server IPs allocated.

(this is general practise - not a cPanel specific limitation)

It is also recommended that (in fact strongly suggested rather than just recommended) that the nameservers for any given domain do not point to the same machine. I would suggest getting a small VPS and running "cPanel DNS Only" (which is free for cPanel license holders) in it to achieve that little bit of DNS redundancy.

#2 dspillett, Jun 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  3. deadend

deadend Active Member

Thanks, that makes perfect sense, I feel rather stupid now asking that.

Lane