The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about cron tasks after upgrading to 11.38

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kent Brockman, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Kent Brockman

Kent Brockman Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi! I'm very happy with the new backup system. Although, I have some questions regarding the correct usage of cron tasks. Let's see:

1. Correct me if I'm wrong: The new backup system does uses the task /usr/local/cpanel/bin/backup, while the legacy backup system is invoked by /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/cpbackup. Is this correct?
    2. I have installed the plugin "Configure cPanel Cron Times" which allows to set the schedule for backup and upcp tasks. But I wonder if the affected backup task is only the actual legacy one. If so, is there any plan to update this plugin? it's only one line of code, I guess, which is the replacing the entry in the cron. Cannot be so complicated.
    3. If I'm using the new backup system and not planning to come back to the legacy system, can I safely delete the cpbackup line from the cron?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, this is correct.

The "/usr/local/cpanel/bin/backup" cron job is currently not available in the "Cron Config" plugin page. There are plans to add this in a future build of cPanel, but there is no specific ETA on that at the moment. In the meantime, the workaround is to edit this cron job manually from the command line using the "crontab -e" command.

The cron job for legacy backups is not required if you no longer plan to use it.

Thank you.