The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about installing on exsisting server.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by grinan, Jun 11, 2006.

1. grinan

grinan Registered

I currently have a dedicated server, running fedora c4, 512 megs ram, 70 gig hd, 1 ip address. It has plesk 8.0 installed as the control panel, and I am absolutely disgusted with it.

I want to move back to cpanel/whm as soon as possible.

Currently I have only 4 of my own personal sites hosted on the server.. none of my clients have been moved to it yet.

My questions are:
    What do I need to do to prepare for installation?
    I am not worried about any of the data that is on the server now.. none of it is important.

I saw somewhere that I needed a new fresh install of my core, with no data on it.

If I were to uninstall plesk, and all of it's modules... would this be good enough?

Or should I just request that the entire system be wiped, and fedora only installed on it?

Thanks for any advice.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I would suggest starting with a clean OS install to avoid problems. If you have a choice, Fedora is not a great OS for production web servers and you'd be better off with RHE or CentOS if you can use it.

3. grinan

grinan Registered

Thanks..

Yes.. I am aware that fedora isn't the greatest thing available.. but I got a great deal on the dedicated box.. and that was my only option.

So.. A clean server install is pretty much a must..

Thanks for your reply.

4. Beansweb.co.uk

Beansweb.co.uk Active Member

you can install cpanel on a used server, but it is advised that it is a clean os so there will be no problems