The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions implementing FTP over SSL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by meeven, Aug 28, 2009.

1. meeven

meeven Well-Known Member

I am trying to implement SSL for FTP (in addition to SSH) on all my cPanel VPSes. It seems cPanel automatically builds PureFTP with SSL support, so turning it on is easy enough by editing the configuration file.

But, will this work with a wild card SSL?

I mean, if I had different VPSes, each going by a different host name (host1.example.com, host2.example.com) but all falling under the same domain (example.com), can I purchase a wild card SSL for the domain example.com, install it and expect to have client accounts in the different VPSes all being able to use the same SSL for FTP?

2. MattCurry

MattCurry Well-Known Member

Wildcard

Hello,

After reviewing your request, I can say it is possible to use a wildcard in this case but you would need to apply the wildcards to he subdomains first, as if you were setting up a standard SSL with user nobody. I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
    Matthew Curry

3. meeven

meeven Well-Known Member

Thank you. I am not sure if I understand this correctly. Does this mean that I have to install it on the subdomain first, before I install it on Example Web Page

What happens when I keep adding VPSes? That is, if I install on a sub-domain (VPS host name), then on the main domain, then provision a new VPS and try to install on that new sub-domain (host name)? Will the cert still work?