Quick and easy question about S.M.A.R.T Errors

jols

Mar 13, 2004
Hi,

We just received this from a server that was put on line at Softlayer, not more than 3 months ago:

-----------------------------
S.M.A.R.T Errors on /dev/sda
From Command: /usr/sbin/smartctl -q errorsonly -H -l selftest -l error /dev/sda
ATA Error Count: 1
Error 1 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 20110 hours (837 days + 22 hours)
----END /dev/sda--
-----------------------------

Regarding this part, "disk power-on lifetime: 20110 hours (837 days + 22 hours)"

Does this mean that the data center is leasing us a box with a hard drive that is nearly 3 years old?

If so, is there a quick command we can use on our other servers to check the age of the hard drive?

Thanks very much.

PenguinInternet

PartnerNOC
Jun 20, 2007
Cardiff, UK
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
You can use smartctl for this on other drives and get the info you require with smartctl -A /dev/sda (where sda is the drive you wish to interrogate). I would look at ensuring you have backups of your current server and make arrangements for a drive replacement. To be fair, this can happen with new drives as well as old - we've seen this on brand new servers before.

NixTree

Aug 19, 2010
Gods Own Country
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hello,

A quick way to check, for how many hours the hard drive is spinning is by looking at check power_on_hours attribute!

#smartctl --all /dev/sda | grep -i power_on_hours
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 096 096 000 Old_age Always - 3424

Here the HDD is online for 3424 hours!

If you are using 3ware raid, the command should be
#smartctl --all -d 3ware,N /dev/twaN | grep -i power_on_hours

where "N" is what representing the "port number" of the drive ( use the command "tw_cli /c0 show" to see the port number of the particualar drive ).

Thank you,
Nibin.