The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick configuration question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AfterDarkDev, Nov 26, 2009.

1. AfterDarkDev

AfterDarkDev Registered

I decided to change from no control panel to cPanel (to require less Linux experience from staff) and now I have an issue.

It may not be a cPanel issue and I may have just overlooked something but here goes anyway.

I have a server with several thousand accounts on it. The only thing in the accounts is, the clients mail and their images, all the files for their site are in a global folder that all sites use. I use an .htaccess file when generating the account to set the client id to pull the site data from the database.

1) Security is not really a concern as the clients don't get to log into the server. Only webmail. All uploads are done via a client portal script.
    2) htaccess looks like:

RewriteEngine On
    Options +FollowSymlinks
    SetEnv client_id 97
    RewriteBase /~systemfi/
    RewriteRule ^(.*) client_files/$1

Its the RewriteBase /~systemfi/ thats the problem. I am getting the following error in apache error_log:

[Thu Nov 26 23:51:02 2009] [error] [client] client denied by server configuration: /home/vandsfre/public_html/.htaccess

As far as I know, I have allowed users to read outside of their webroot.

As I said, this works on my non cpanel server.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks.

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Are you looking to access the websites using a temporary URL before you point them to your new server OR looking to achieve some other task?

3. AfterDarkDev

AfterDarkDev Registered

Well, both and neither.

I want domain1.com, domain2.com, ....., domain4000.com to all use the php files and images from systemdomain.com while still using their own htaccess files.

Works fine if I use addon domains but I need to be able to use dedicated IP address for some of the sites and that is a pain in the ass with a cpanel addon.

Like I said, this works fine on my non cpanel server so I am sure its just a permission problem.