The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quota calculations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jsteel, Apr 30, 2003.

1. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if cPanel only counts files where the customer's UID is the owner, or does it also count any files where the GUID of the customer is set as well?

I'm most interested in determining if the Apache logs count towards a user's quota. The logs are owned by root, but the GUID is set for the actual customer.

Jaz

2. CodyFrisch

CodyFrisch Active Member

On our servers, it only shows what belongs to them on /home. We have quota enabled on this only, and have turned it off on the rest of the system. I didn't use WHM to set much of this server up, since its so limited in comparison to just doing it all directly.

I also noticed when I set up a new server using the XFS file system, which has quota support in the FILESYSTEM itself rather than an add on on top of it all. That the XFS quota system counts actual disk usage as was reported by the 'du' command rather than however the quota system on an ext2 file system reported it.

On an old server, we had an account which used the phpcache script, which creats literally 1,000+ directories in a nice mess of a structure. Now, a directory uses an inode up, which means each directory uses 4KB of space on your drive. This account was using 550+ MB of space on the disk according to 'du' however the quota system with ext2 reported 50MB which was his quota (he hit max). At least with XFS you can get accurate reports for real disk usage it seems.

Also XFS doesn't need a quotacheck every 15 minutes to update, its always realtime, maintained in the file system itself. So you can turn the caching disk usage in whm off, and get realtime reports, instantly. No performance hit at all.

All in all I'm really liking the XFS file system. Fast, stable, and obviously superior quota support (that even lets you do accounting without enforcement, so users can go over quota with no consequences if you wanted.)