SOLVED Quota Errors on Attempt to Modify Account after 58 Upgrade

Zurrie

Oct 31, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
update:

1. on Linode Centos 6.xx and Centos 7.xx (all default ISO's from Linode)

Everything seems okay after use cPanel version 58.0.13 [current] and do /scripts/fixquotas

2. but at OVH server (soyoustart) (all default ISO's from SoYou) got error message after update to cPanel version 58.0.13 [current] and do /scripts/fixquotas

[[email protected] scripts]# /scripts/fixquotas
Installing Default Quota Databases......Done
journaled quota support: kernel supports, user space tools supports (available)
checking out /backup
Warning : Your system does not have a separate filesystem for backups. This may cause performance degradation during the backup process.
/dev/md2 (already configured quotas = 1).
/dev/md3 (already configured quotas = 1).
Updating Quota Files......
quotacheck: Cannot stat() mounted device /dev/root: Too many levels of symbolic links
quotacheck: Cannot stat() mounted device /dev/root: Too many levels of symbolic links
quotacheck: Scanning /dev/md3 [/home] load sym
quotacheck_virtfs_wrapper-1.0: skipped path: /home/virtfs
quotacheck: Cannot stat old user quota file /home/quota.user: No such file or directory. Usage will not be subtracted.
quotacheck: Old group file name could not been determined. Usage will not be subtracted.
quotacheck: Checked 5126 directories and 117585 files
quotacheck: Old file not found.
done

....Done
Quotas have been enabled and updated.
Resetting quota for hellome to 900 M
edquota: Cannot stat() mounted device /dev/root: Too many levels of symbolic links
edquota: Cannot stat() mounted device /dev/root: Too many levels of symbolic links

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
1. on Linode Centos 6.xx and Centos 7.xx (all default ISO's from Linode)

Everything seems okay after use cPanel version 58.0.13 [current] and do /scripts/fixquotas
Thank you for letting us know the issue is addressed on Linode systems after updating to cPanel 58.0.13. Note that it's now available in the "Release" build tier.

2. but at OVH server (soyoustart) (all default ISO's from SoYou) got error message after update to cPanel version 58.0.13 [current] and do /scripts/fixquotas:

Please let us know the output from the following commands:

Code:
cat /etc/fstab
ls -al /dev/root
df -h
Also, could you verify if you made manual changes related to this issue in the past? Or, were all changes automatically implemented after updating and running "/scripts/fixquotas"?

Thank you.

Zurrie

Oct 31, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Also, could you verify if you made manual changes related to this issue in the past? Or, were all changes automatically implemented after updating and running "/scripts/fixquotas"?
Hi Michael,

Nope, everything in automatic fresh install from SoYou (OVH) ISO Centos7, this is happen after i update to cPanel version 58.0.13 [current] and do /scripts/fixquotas.

[[email protected] ~]# cat /etc/fstab

# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/md2 / ext4 errors=remount-ro,usrjquota=quota.user,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 1
/dev/md3 /home ext4 usrjquota=quota.user,jqfmt=vfsv0 1 2
/dev/sda4 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb4 swap swap defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0

[[email protected] ~]# ls -al /dev/root

ls: cannot access /dev/root: No such file or directory

[[email protected] ~]# df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 20G 7.1G 12G 40% /
devtmpfs 7.8G 0 7.8G 0% /dev
tmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 7.9G 18M 7.9G 1% /run
tmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md3 1.8T 63G 1.7T 4% /home
tmpfs 1.6G 0 1.6G 0% /run/user/0

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Nope, everything in automatic fresh install from SoYou (OVH) ISO Centos7, this is happen after i update to cPanel version 58.0.13 [current] and do /scripts/fixquotas.
Would you mind opening a support ticket using the link in my signature and then posting the ticket number here so we can take a closer look?

Thank you.

cloferba

Sep 23, 2009
I tried to update quotas
Code:
/scripts/fixquotas
but I get the following error:
Code:
Updating Quota Files......
        quotacheck: Cannot find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted with quota option.

....Done
Resetting quota for aaacftp to 0 M
I'm still unable to upload files through file manager.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
An additional case, CPANEL-7896, is open to ensure /etc/fstab is read if /dev/root is a broken symlink. This should address reports of the following error message:

Code:
I'll update this thread once the resolution associated with this case is released.

In the meantime, please post the output from the following commands if the manual workaround referenced earlier in this thread is unhelpful:

Code:
grep '' /etc/redhat-release /usr/local/cpanel/version /var/cpanel/envtype
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/perl -MCpanel::Filesys::Root -le 'print Cpanel::Filesys::Root::get_root_device_path();'
ls -ld /dev/root
grep -v rootfs /proc/mounts |grep root
cat /etc/fstab
rpm -qa|grep quota
Customers calling why they can't access their webmail accounts with the "Over quota" error, I upgraded the Quota from 2GB to 3GB and the "Over quota" error continues.
I'm not sure this is related to the issue reported on this thread. I've moved the post to it's own thread at:

Email Quotas

Thank you.

Zurrie

Oct 31, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Would you mind opening a support ticket using the link in my signature and then posting the ticket number here so we can take a closer look?
Thank you.
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your suggestions, i will open ticket when i think its necessary, meanwhile forums is the fastest response in my opinion.

Update:

]1. error i found in WHM 11.58.0.13

http://webmail.domainname will show internal server error 500

fix it by update to WHM 11.58.0.17

2. error for symlink still appears in WHM 11.58.0.17 same like previous version WHM 11.58.0.13

Resetting quota for userabcd to 0 M

cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Leo Ashcraft

Registered
Aug 9, 2016
Texas
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have this same exact problem with WHM 11.58.0.13 - how did you updgrade to WHM 11.58.0.17 it says 13 is the latest version. I get the edquota: Cannot stat() mounted device /dev/root: Too many levels of symbolic links error and cant edit user quotas and getting errors in the reseller cpanel pages. Everything appears to work - but these errors are wasting my time. Doesnt cpanel test any of this stuff before releasing it to the public?

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your suggestions, i will open ticket when i think its necessary, meanwhile forums is the fastest response in my opinion.

Update:

1. error i found in WHM 11.58.0.13

http://webmail.domainname will show internal server error 500

fix it by update to WHM 11.58.0.17

2. error for symlink still appears in WHM 11.58.0.17 same like previous version WHM 11.58.0.13

Resetting quota for userabcd to 0 M

cheers!

Zurrie

Oct 31, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have this same exact problem with WHM 11.58.0.13 - how did you updgrade to WHM 11.58.0.17 it says 13 is the latest version. I get the edquota: Cannot stat() mounted device /dev/root: Too many levels of symbolic links error and cant edit user quotas and getting errors in the reseller cpanel pages. Everything appears to work - but these errors are wasting my time. Doesnt cpanel test any of this stuff before releasing it to the public?
heh <grin> that is the same question i ask before about QC, since cPanel is not "new hosting control panel" for me i think this kind of incident really annoying and really "unprofessional release" (below standard).

it took me two days to recover all my backup files... lucky me all files can be recover, well i still believe in cPanel.

For update to release candidate, go to your WHM access ---> Update Preferences

1. Choose Release Candidate.
2. Press Save.
3. Login to your SSH type "/scripts/upcp --force"

Good Luck,

Zurrie

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
CPANEL-7896 should address this issue, however it's not yet released. I'll update this thread as soon as that happens.

In the meantime, you could check to see the current symlink with a command such as:

Code:
ls -alh /dev/root
Here's an example of how the output looks on systems with the "Too many levels of symbolic links" error message:

Code:
# ls -alh /dev/root

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Aug  9 15:41 /dev/root -> /dev/root
Removing the bad symbolic link and following the workaround instructions found earlier in this thread should address the issue until the resolution is released. Feel free to let us know if you have any questions, or the workaround doesn't resolve the issue.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

To update, the resolution associated with CPANEL-7896 is included with cPanel 58.0.19:

Fixed case CPANEL-7896: Add fallback to reading /etc/fstab if /dev/root is a broken symlink.

This version is currently published to the "Edge" and "Current" build tiers, and is expected to make it's way to the "Release" build tier in the next couple of days. You can review the full change log, information on updating cPanel/WHM, and information on the build/release process at:

58 Change Log - Change Logs - cPanel Documentation
How can I update cPanel & WHM?
Product Versions and the Release Process - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

Zurrie

Oct 31, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

To update, the resolution associated with CPANEL-7896 is included with cPanel 58.0.19:

Fixed case CPANEL-7896: Add fallback to reading /etc/fstab if /dev/root is a broken symlink.

This version is currently published to the "Edge" and "Current" build tiers, and is expected to make it's way to the "Release" build tier in the next couple of days. You can review the full change log, information on updating cPanel/WHM, and information on the build/release process at:

58 Change Log - Change Logs - cPanel Documentation
How can I update cPanel & WHM?
Product Versions and the Release Process - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.
Thanks for the update Michael, seems everything works okay with the backup files now.

Just one more question:

the server root space seems increase, do you know why?

/dev/sda 95G 72G 23G 77% /

/dev/root 20G 10G 8.2G 56% /

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
the server root space seems increase, do you know why?

/dev/sda 95G 72G 23G 77% /

/dev/root 20G 10G 8.2G 56% /
Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

sehh

Feb 11, 2006
Europe
Hello,

I have a server running 11.58.0.25 (virtuozzo VPS), which won't create any new accounts, producing a similar error to the OP's post.

I tried running fixquotas, which produced the following errors:
Code:
Installing Default Quota Databases......Done
journaled quota support: not available with vzaquota (disabled)
checking out /backup
checking out /backup
Reading package super_client
Resetting quota for superdomain to 0 M
edquota: Quota write failed (id 510): Invalid argument
There is no /dev/root but even if I create one, it makes no difference, I see the same errors as above when I re-run fixquotas.

My fstab looks like this:
Code:
# cat /etc/fstab
none    /dev/pts    devpts    rw    0    0
df output:
Code:
# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/simfs      160G  9.7G  151G   7% /
none            7.8G  4.0K  7.8G   1% /dev
mount output:
Code:
# mount|grep quota
/dev/simfs on / type simfs (rw,relatime,usrquota,grpquota)
I'd appreciate some help please.

Last edited:

sehh

Feb 11, 2006
Europe
errmm..

not sure what to say, the problem was fixed once I rebooted the VPS... weird.

sorry for the false alarm.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
not sure what to say, the problem was fixed once I rebooted the VPS... weird.
I'm happy to see the issue is now resolved. Thank you for updating us with the outcome.