Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Quota Problem -- too large and then unlimited

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tbutler, May 17, 2008.

1. tbutler

tbutler Member

Hi everyone,
    I seem to be having an odd quota problem, a bit of a combination of several I've read about.

It started yesterday when a client told me his e-mail was bouncing. It turned out that the quota for the account was saying he was using 2.8GB of a 2.5 GB quota. Several other accounts seem to have a similar problem. I went to his home directory, ran du and found only 1.5 GB in use. I used "find" to scour the entire hard disk for the phantom 1.3 GB and here's what I found:

1.) A few /proc entries for programs running.
    2.) A ton of stuff in the virtfs folders (I presume that shouldn't count).
    3.) A few things in /tmp, but the entire tmp folder is less than 20MB.
    4.) A few miscellaneous files that I checked and found to be > 5MB.
    5.) valias and vdomainalias files.

At most, I may have found a grand total of 1.6 GB. Yet, quota reports 2.8 GB.

Now, I ran fixquotas several times. The first time it did nothing, the second time it set all of my accounts to "unlimited" quotas. I don't like the accounts set to unlimited, but for now it works, since if it is set properly, my client is "over quota."

So, I was wondering if anyone would have advice on how to:

1.) Get the "usage" to reflect the actual usage rather than something 1.3 GB higher.
    2.) After that, get quotas reset from "unlimited" back to their proper places.

Thanks!

-Tim