The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quotas on NFS possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jfall123, Jan 13, 2009.

1. jfall123

jfall123 Well-Known Member

We run all of our hardware on virtual environments with most data NFS mounted via a Netapp backend. This gives us great flexibility for disaster recovery and snapshot backups.

So, are quotas doable on NFS mounted home directories? Are there any other foreseeable problems running cPanel almost completely off of NFS mounts?

2. rejected

rejected Well-Known Member

It is possible look into rquotad to pull the quota's we never had a issue running all data off NFS

3. bigj

bigj Well-Known Member

Unless things have changed I would say no, sort of. I had this same question on this forum many years ago.

The quotas are going to be handled on the device offering the NFS services so if you don't mind enabling them there then yes it'll work. The downside is you take the automation that Cpanel brings to the table away.

Since it's a NetApp I would seriously look at iSCSI. Many years ago I switched to this and had no problems. It's a block level network storage so the device will look just like physical disk so you can apply anything to it like you would a normal disk. This includes quotas.

Hope this helps.

--
    bigj

4. nshreders

nshreders Member
    PartnerNOC

We have been looking at a Netapp and with rquotad it works for the most part, but disk stats don't work and quotas will not work still.

iSCSI introduces I/O issues especially if your environment is virtualized. It also brings you back to square one with a fixed partition anyway. You can grow out the partition when needed but you don't have the flexibility that NFS would provide.

I have been told there will be no plans to implement NFS support within cPanel.