The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1Soft Backup Replacement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Solokron, May 12, 2009.

1. Solokron

Solokron Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    R1Soft Backup Alternative

Just when everyone is reducing their prices R1Soft has increased their prices at the end of last year. Has anyone found a good alternative to it? I am almost tempted to hire some Indians to make a backup program with cPanel integration to compete directly with it as $180 + an additional license for MySQL backups per server is pretty hefty. That is not including the annual maintenance cost of the product.

#1 Solokron, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. Solokron

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I just received an invoice for four cPanel shared servers. Anyone want to guess the total price?

$1094.76. That is WITH a 10% discount. OUCH!

3. damianz

damianz Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It would be a great thing if R1Soft was cheaper. For all the small companies out there the price is just too much. Im also interested in any open source alternatice. I tried to impliment the bacula backed system but it didint work out too well. Im now looking at offsite solutions Ive even come to the point of thinking about building a rack specificaly for data storage and hosting it in the UK (While all out other servers are in the US) and writing a C or python socket deamon to pass the data. I hate to think about my poor bandwidth :eek:

4. david-r1soft

david-r1soft Member

RE: Thanks for Your Feedback

Thanks for Your Feedback.

I understand that a $1,100 can be a lot to spend on software for a small web hosting outfit.

Have you considered:
    $1,100 amortized over 3 years is - $1,100 / 36 = $30.56 per month

Thats $30.56 / 4 servers = $7.64 per server per month for backup software that will reduce your server load, bandwidth consumption (by backups), and provide you great recovery point objectives (RPO) by backing up every hour.

You also get a value add service to your cpanel customers by providing self-service restores.

You have 4 CPanel servers so I assume you are doing shared hosting. Have you considered adding a data protecting surcharge to your hosting fees?

How many hosting accounts do you have on those 4 servers? What if you charged each one just $0.25 per month extra as a data protection surcharge?

If you have 50 accounts per server (50 x 4 servers = 200 accounts * .25 = $50 / month). That pays for the software in 2 years and then provides a profit of roughly ~$50 / month you didn't have before and you still have the backup software.

You expressed interest in programming. Did you know the mechanism for authenticating CPanel users to allow them to restore files in R1Soft is open source and in Perl?

See Integrating with New Hosting Control Panels - CDP Server 2.0 Documentation - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - Docs - KB Articles - Technical Papers

You could easily modify the authentication Perl script to check a list of users allowed to perform self-service restores. Now you have a new add-on service available for all of your hosting accounts.

Your competitors ARE MAKING $$$$ by providing backups with R1Soft. I would like to see you do the same.

By the way now is a great time to get the software. While it has taken longer than I wanted... CDP 3 is coming together fast and will be out soon. You don't want to miss the boat on CDP 3... it will really set a whole new bar for server backups all over again.

I took a screen shot of CDP 3 file browser which I happen to have open on a ESX Server VM that I am testing. It is attached.

Good hosting customer hunting.

Regards,
    -David Wartell
    -R1Soft Founder

Attached Files:

5. Solokron

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello David,

Does version 3 allow for cPanel user based mysql restores?

6. david-r1soft

david-r1soft Member

RE: CDP 3 and self-service cpanel mysql restores

Yes in a later release. The first release will not have an control panel integration or MySQL support.

A subsequent release will add MySQL and CPanel into CDP 3. Currently tracking end of 2009 for MySQL and CPanel in CDP 3. that will have both MySQL for WIndows and CPanel end-user mysql restore.

By the way. You can restore your customer's CPanel MySQL databases right now as an admin. However in CDP 2.x restore of MyQL databases in not self-service for CPanel users.

7. david-r1soft

david-r1soft Member

RE: Solokron PM

Solokron FYI i sent you a PM

8. bodhost.com

bodhost.com Active Member

Now, that's pretty good.

@David, can you please provide us more information on your R1soft packages and if you have set no. of prices if you have more licenses purchased from you.

9. Mario-cPanel

Mario-cPanel Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

@bodhost.com if you would like we can put you in contact with your account manager I will pm you my email address. Or you can just copy it from my signature below.

10. damianz

damianz Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks for your input on this. I know that per month the cost is effectively quite low and customers really like the software. The issue we have is we have one main server which runs xen which runs 1 cpanel server for shared hosting and others for DNS, development testing and other little services.

The problem we have is we would love r1soft but for the initial outgoing it is a lot of money. We struggle to pay the bills just for the server. From what I have read r1soft would require a dedicated server for the server site then the clients would be installed on each. We have looked to off site r1soft hosting the cost is just the issue. Once we have finished our free panel/signup system (6months or so) and we (hopefully) start pulling in users and actually earning enough to pay for the server r1soft will be a better option for us. Until then were just trying out solutions but I'm personally worrying about data loss if the servers main hdd went :eek:

I will take a look at your technical docs and authentication system. I think an opensource backup system in the same style could be interesting (I don't think there is one, if there is an opensource CDP solution please tell me xD) I know it would be never as good as r1soft.

I will have to think about our backup solution and get something new, if anyone has any ideas please let me know. We get more accounts daily, every single day the worry about data loss is greater. It doesn't help that there's 2 people to cover all development, server maintenance and every line of code for over 6 separate panels. I cant even think about developing our SVN hosting system until the backup system is reliable.

I thank r1soft for all there input, you are an amazing company.

11. bodhost.com

bodhost.com Active Member

Thanks! :)