The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1Soft CDP 3.0 Mysql Module

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by KrystalS, Mar 26, 2011.

1. KrystalS

KrystalS Active Member

Has anyone else moved from CDP2 to CDP3 and are using the MySQL Module?

They seem to have made changes to it, and the new module is slow. Very slow.

I'm currently testing on a server with around 600 accounts on it, probably 1000 MySQL databases.

In CDP2.0 a backup ran every 4 hours would take around 1hr30 to complete and entire server snapshot with MySQL. The backup host was very slow, and other hosts not using MySQL that have moved over have increased over 100% in speed or more ( Some have gone down from 1hr+ to < 20 mins ).

In CDP3.0 this server seems to be taking over 6hrs+ just to backup the MySQL, not to mention that I had to open up the ports in the firewall, and make a user with full access to the MySQL server ( not very secure :s ). The disk backups move over much quicker.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing, or are people simply not bothering with the MySQL module in CDP3.0 ?

2. xqdm

xqdm Member
    PartnerNOC

I have noticed this using the Advanced edition of R1Soft, what happens is that MySQL takes approximately 3/4 of the time to backup everything, the other 1/4 is used to backup the drives etc.

It seems as though MySQL is backing up really really slowly...

3. KrystalS

KrystalS Active Member

I've been talking to r1soft about it. Here is the explanation :

Supposedly they are working on a way to turn some of these options off.

I'm not sure about your situation, but I'm currently looking at snapshots of around 1-5 minutes on my drives and then 4-5hours+ on backing up my MySQL databases.

4. k-planethost

k-planethost Well-Known Member

which is the server load on this case?
    also do you have in mind any company offers monthly leases for r1soft?

5. KrystalS

KrystalS Active Member

The load is low. It's not the server that's going slow!

R1Soft will offer you monthly payments if you have enough servers to justify it!

6. k-planethost

k-planethost Well-Known Member

7. KrystalS

KrystalS Active Member

Yep,

For each host you'll need the "Linux CDP Enterprise Agent" and the "MySQL CDP Agent Add-On"

8. david-r1soft

david-r1soft Member

Yes the fact that CDP 3 is backing up all of the new MySQL data structures is the part that is slow in the CDP release you are using.

We are now sending queries at MySQL to get all of these structures from MySQL which do not have raw table data behind them for example triggers, views etc.

I found we were using some not so optimal queries to collect these data structures from MySQL and this is fixed in the next R1Soft CDP release.

We have a product release shipping in approximately 2 weeks that addresses this.

I am running the latest development build of CDP 3 for MYSQL and here is what I am seeing.

I am trying it now with a simple test case on my desktop station which is simply a single SATA drive and MySQL 5:
    100 Databases. Each database has 47 real world tables. Each database is a real confluence wiki. Each database has approximately 125 MB of real data (shouldn’t matter slowness is all with getting schema)

Each databases uses indexes and constraints. 1 test databases using all objects types: views, triggers, and stored procedures.

Baseline (version you have):
    Start MySQL Discovery 17:23:07
    Finish MySQL Discovery 17:45:03
    ~22 minutes

Latest dev build:
    Start MySQL Discovery 11:46:03
    Finish MySQL Discovery 11:47:13
    ~1 minute 10 seconds

So you should notice a massive improvement in the next release.

One note is that IF you use triggers getting your triggers from MySQL is EXTREMELY slow. This is a MySQL limitation and I can not do much about it. It only bothers you if you use lots of triggers.

Regards,
    -David Wartell

9. KrystalS

KrystalS Active Member

Hi David,

Please can you take a look at SUPPORT-957170 on your system.

I've been unable to restore a single MySQL database in version 3.

10. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It might be best to handle these issues via the r1soft forum at R1Soft - High Performance Backup Software Forum since that would be the area to discuss issues with using r1soft. By discussing this on the r1soft forum, I'm certain it would be most helpful and applicable there to users of that software.